The best decision I've made to date has been asking for a Magic Bullet. My next door neighbors may not love the sound of my blender, but I'm convinced the only reason I haven't developed a case of scurvy is because I make so many smoothies each week. Sure, you could eat all the ingredients in a smoothie separately and get the same benefits, but it's just more fun when all the healthy things turn a fun color once blended together. Almond milk smoothie recipes are a favorite of mine. The dairy-free beverage has fewer calories and fat than regular milk, and it keeps in the fridge a lot longer.

As a firm believer in the power of smoothies to combat the college cereal rut, I've rounded up 15 of my favorite almond milk smoothie recipes that are a bright spot on even the dreariest Monday morning. As a rule of thumb, I've tried to stick with some basic smoothie ingredients, because I know the struggle of having only half a mini fridge to stash your supplies in. Any other fun "extra" ingredients are totally up to you and how your bank account is feeling. 

College Smoothie Essentials:

ice, dairy, sweet, yogurt, straw, milkshake, milk, smoothie, laughing girls, smile, berry, acai, Smoothie Bowl
Julia Gilman

- Almond Milk (unsweetened vanilla is the best for smoothies so that you get a little extra sweetness without added sugar)

- Frozen berries and fruits

- Bananas (stolen from the dining hall is always a good option)

- Juice (also stolen from the dining hall if you're creative and have a few mason jars)

- Spinach or kale (only because you can't taste it when you hide it under fruit. I don't put greens in my smoothies because I like them, but because I don't want to deal with them in salads)

- Nut butter of choice

- Cocoa powder (if you're a chocolate for breakfast kinda person, which I so am)

- Chia seeds

Armed with these basics, you should be able to freestyle your smoothies or model your breakfast off one of these delicious almond milk smoothie recipes.

1. Strawberry Beet Smoothie

To kickstart your morning, this strawyberry beet smoothie recipe says you can use any plant-based milk, but I'd try it as an almond milk smoothie to keep it light. This is perfect for when you want to think it's summer but spring break hasn't even happened yet. 

2. Chocolate Chia Smoothie

This almond milk smoothie will make it feel like you're eating dessert and keep you full until lunch.

#SpoonTip: Freeze the banana first and omit the ice for a creamier breakfast.

3. Strawberry "Milkshake" Smoothie

So you can be healthy on the outside but happy on the inside. This "milkshake" should be delicious and frothy when you add almond milk. And the recipe was written by a Master of Nutrition and Public Health, so it's literally certifiably good for you and your body. 

4. Blueberry Oatmeal Smoothie

This oat and almond milk smoothie is sure to be a crowd pleaser and a stomach filler. The oats make the smoothie thicker and creamier, and also give it more fiber to help it last longer!

5. Blueberry Almond Butter Smoothie

This blueberry smoothie is simple, delicious, and visually stunning. Smoothies have the power to override the three plates of French fries I ate last night, right?

6. Creamsicle Smoothie

This almond milk "smoothie" could definitely qualify as dessert. But the nutritionist said it's okay for breakfast and even qualifies as an immune booster.

7. Raspberry Smoothie

Refreshing and simple, raspberries always remind me of summer, even on the dreariest New England days. This raspberry almond smoothie will brighten any morning.

8. Customizable Green Smoothie 

You could swap the spinach for kale, add honey for sweetness, or put in ice cubes so you can pretend this smoothie is just a green apple Slurpee.

9. Oatmeal Cookie Smoothie

The theme of these smoothies is to find the most number of ways to ingest dessert-flavored things in the name of health. This oatmeal cookie smoothie is no exception.

10. Tropical Smoothie

This tropical smoothie uses only three ingredients and is basically an island in a glass. Bright citrus is always a great way to jolt yourself awake, and is a great immune boost (which is especially important since flu season is essentially year-round on college campuses).

11. Chocolate Almond Oatmeal Smoothie

This filling smoothie will be the best part of your day. It's sweet and spicy and you could probably even hide some greens in it. This is a great incentive to finally attempt that sunrise run (even if it only happens once).

12. Strawberry Chia Seed Smoothie

Chia seeds add protein and texture to this simple four-ingredient smoothie. While I love new takes and fun flavors, it's good to get back to basics for those hectic mornings.

13. Almond Mint Smoothie

When the Girl Scouts have already packed up their cookies, this might just save you in the morning. Plus, the mint is ultra refreshing and a great way to try and combat coffee breath. Try this almond mint smoothie for a break from berry overload.

14. Berry Smoothie

You can make this mixed berry smoothie with just three ingredients. Using unsweetened vanilla almond milk would make it even more delicious.

15. Make Ahead Smoothies

This one might be cheating a little because this smoothie recipe uses coconut milk and yogurt instead of almond milk, but there's no one stopping you from using whatever milk you want. And while all the smoothies on this list look beautiful,some mornings you just need to grab something out of the freezer and go. My favorite thing to do is to pop the fruit right in my Magic Bullet cup so no plastic bags are wasted and no extra dishes have to be done.

I firmly believe that almond milk smoothie recipes are just improv prompts. They're a great jumping point to get you thinking, but don't need to be followed exactly. So use these recipes as inspiration to play a little, because food should always be fun.