Every year during Passover I do the same thing: google the kosher guidelines for Passover. And here I am, years later, still doing the same thing, only now I'm writing the guidelines.  Passover is one of a kind. As Jews, we pride ourself on the array of food each holiday brings us. Jelly stuffed donuts (aka sufganiyot), latkes, brisket, matzo ball soup, and even gefilte fish sometimes.

But on Passover that's not the case; we're stuck with a list of foods we can and can not eat, and it feels pretty intimidating with all of our limitations. Rather than getting creative and eating what we can eat, we (as in me and my family) end up eating boxes and boxes of matzah with jam, cheese, butter, and eggs. Let me tell you, everything a vegan might eat on any other night is forbidden on this night. No rice, beans, lentils, or grains. That's a ton of food! Except for matzah, matzah, and more matzah.

After years of family members becoming vegan, environmentally aware, or trying out a new diet, my Passover seder went from real shank bones and boiled eggs to paper cutouts with an extra side of bitter herbs and charoset. So with that, I'm going to try and make your Passover a little easier with 10 totally vegan Passover recipes 

1. Jackfruit Brisket

chicken
Abi Scott

What's Passover seder without the brisket? No matter how vegan this seder is, we'll still be serving brisket, just with a twist. All you need to do is swap out that beef for some jackfruit; I doubt anyone will be able to taste the difference. 

2. Matzo Ball Soup

If it's matzo ball soup isn't there, your guests are missing out. The key to a complete Passover meal is starting with a delicious bowl of freshly made matzo ball soup. This soup is a token dish for any Jewish holiday, just stick with veggie broth and you have a delicious vegan dish.

3. Charoset

Charoset is a must at the Passover dinner. It's the perfect vegan side to scoop up with a piece of Matzah. It's filled with apples, nuts, and cinnamon and is already vegan. There are so many ways to make it that you can have more than one type at your seder. 

4. Vegan Gefilte Fish

Not all fish are thought of equally, especially not gefilte fish. Gefilte fish (literally means stuffed fish) is a traditional Jewish dish that mixes different types of fish together. It seems a little bit funky, but some people love it.

5. Matzo 

Matzo is vegan, versatile, and one of my favorite parts of the holiday. Not only does this need to be at seder so we can hide it and find it, but it also feeds us each night we're kosher. It's great with charoset, but put some Peanut butter and berries on it, or tomatoes and olive oil, and right in front of your eyes you've got yourself two great open-face sandwiches. 

6. Vegan Gratin

This vegan side dish will go great with your jackfruit brisket and charoset. Every family has their own traditions and dishes at their seder, and in some families creamy sliced potatoes baked nice and fresh is exactly what they need to satisfy their hunger. 

7. Coconut Macaroons 

I don't think my family has ever had a seder without my cousin's famous coconut macaroons. Coconut macaroons are such a delicious dessert, and are can be made vegan easily. Without coconut macaroons to end your night, did you actually even go to seder dinner?

8. Matzo Brittle with Salted Coconut Sugar Toffee

Not only is this matzo brittle great for noshing on, but it's the perfect centerpiece for your seder dinner. Feel free to use different toppings if pistachios aren't your fave. 

9. Double Dark Chocolate Coconut Macaroon Tart   

I know this is another dessert, but you can never have too many desserts at seder. This double dark chocolate coconut macaroon tart is such a hit that it might be gone before you can steal a taste. It's vegan (duh), but also really tasty and has a great texture. 

10. Wine

wine, alcohol, liquor, red wine, coffee
Alex Frank

During Passover there are four glasses of wine. You start your meal with a glass of wine, and throughout the seder, wine symbolizes happiness and joy.

#SpoonTip: If you want to switch things up, try making this manischewitz sangria recipe. 

I hope you have a happy, healthy, vegan seder with the people who bring you joy and love. These vegan Passover recipes each bring something to your table filled with old tradition. Passover is a special holiday where we come together and eat a great meal with great people. Enjoy these recipes not only on your seder, but for many meals to follow.