When you live in South Texas, the possibility of having 80-degree weather on Christmas day is a likely outcome that plagues those that live here each and every year. Instead of boots and sweaters, children and adults sport their summer shorts and t-shirts. Sometimes when it gets so hot, people trick themselves by blasting the air conditioner and wearing their turtlenecks anyways.

And certainly nothing is worse when pretending it’s cold outside than having to drink a cup of pipping hot chocolate and trying to seem as though you aren’t sweating profusely under all those layers.

This is why frozen hot chocolate is my best friend around the holidays.

Though it was introduced to the public in the movie Serendipity, frozen hot chocolate is just now catching its stride. Restaurants are concocting their own recipes and stores are selling specialty mixes, and all the while South Texas is loving it. No more pretending, y’all. It’s just too hot.

Recipe adapted from Serendipity 3.

Easy

Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 5 Minutes
Total Time: 10 Minutes
Servings: 1 large glass

_DSC0139_7

Photo by Karina Rao

3 ounces chocolate (you can use chocolate chips)
2 teaspoons of your favorite hot chocolate mix
1 ½ teaspoons sugar
1 ½ cups milk
3 cups ice

Optional: Whipped cream, crushed peppermint, chocolate shavings, chocolate chips or oreos if you dare.

1. In a double boiler, heat your chocolate until melted and smooth. (If using chocolate chips, you could also do this by heating in the microwave for 1 minute, stirring, then continuing to heat in the microwave for 15 second intervals, stirring in-between).

_DSC0143

Photo by Karina Rao

2. Once melted, stir in hot chocolate mix and sugar until well combined.

_DSC0173

Photo by Karina Rao

3. Add ½ cup of the milk and stir until well combined.

_DSC0203

Photo by Karina Rao

4. Allow the mixture to cool completely.
5. Place ice, cooled chocolate mixture, and remaining milk and blend until combined.

NOTE: You may not need to add the extra cup of milk if your mixture is thin enough without it.

_DSC0232

Photo by Karina Rao

6. Pour into your favorite holiday glass or mug and top with whatever you would like.

Now you do not have to live with the agony of pretending like you are enjoying that cup of super hot chocolate. Instead, mix this cold drink up for your next holiday event and be everyone’s favorite.