Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not a big fan of bananas. The only way I might have one is blended into a smoothie. While everyone's probably heard that bananas are a great part of a healthy diet because of their potassium, bananas aren't the only food you can get your dose of potassium from. If you're like me and aren't a fan of bananas, here are 10 foods to eat if you need more potassium in your diet. 

1. Sweet Potatoes

Lauren Gonzalez

Did you know that sweet potatoes actually rank the highest on the list of foods that are high in potassium? They beat out bananas by a long shot! With a serving containing almost 694 mg of potassium and 131 calories, sweet potatoes are a healthy addition to any diet. They also happen to be rich in vitamin A, which in itself is another plus.

2. Watermelon

watermelon, melon
Tess Wei

Another fruit that many people enjoy besides bananas, watermelon, surprisingly, contains an abundant 641 mg of potassium. How's that for a fruit made mostly of water!

3.  Spinach

Green Smoothie photo by Kimber Pine (@kimberpine) on Unsplash

Unsplash on unsplash

A good source of greens and various vitamins, spinach has about 540 mg of potassium. The upside? It's SUPER inexpensive, making it perfectly affordable for the average broke college student.

4. Clams

Seafood Boil photo by Adrien Sala (@adriensala) on Unsplash

Unsplash on unsplash

If you like seafood and are looking to up your potassium intake, then clams are the food for you. They are a fantastic source of vitamin B12 of any food and boast a healthy potassium level of 534 mg.

5. Black/White Beans

coffee, cereal, espresso, cappuccino, black beans, beans, mocha
Rose Gerber

You probably already know that black beans - and just beans in general - are a good source of protein and fiber, but did you know that they're also high in potassium? Black beans have a total of 739 mg of potassium, and white beans offer a whopping 1189 mg in a single cup! 

6. Fish

raw salmon, salmon, salmon fillet, seafood, fish

Halibut and tuna contain a whopping 500 mg of potassium per 3 ounces of meat, and many other types of fish also offer a healthy dose of potassium. However, potassium isn't the only reason you should consider adding more fish to your diet. Did you know that eating fish and taking fish supplements can also increase your lifespan? Well, it can - at least according to a new Harvard study.

7. Edamame

vegetable, legume, salad, asparagus, pea
Kristine Mahan

Also known as soybeans, edamame can have up to 676 mg in one cup. Not only that, but with 18 grams of protein per cup, it's a great plant-based source of protein to add to your diet!

8. Swiss Chard

pasture, chard, vegetable, swiss chard, lettuce, beet
Sara Wong

Eat one cup of these lovely greens and you get almost 961 mg of potassium. Not only that, but you'll also be filling your body with vitamins A, C, and K, as well as calcium and iron.  

9. Yogurt

milk, cream, sweet, tea, dairy product
Jason Cruz

Now, this only goes for plain yogurt (not that Greek stuff that many of us love). Yogurt contains an impressive 573 mg of potassium and is also a great source of calcium. So the next time you're wondering what to have for breakfast, eat your yogurt! 

10. Beets

sweet, beet, vegetable
Margaret Weinberg

Beets are those weird red, circular vegetables that many people eat pickled out of a jar. Some folks eat it fresh, of course, but the most common way you'll see beets sold is in a jar. Beets have about 518 mg of potassium. According to healthline.com, the potassium and nitrates in beets can not only help improve your blood vessel function and high blood pressure, but they have the potential to lessen your risk of developing heart disease.  

These 10 foods are by no means the only foods out there that contain a good dose of potassium. Still, they're a pretty good place to start if you're looking to increase your potassium intake (and you don't like bananas)!