Attention fellow central-north New Jersey folk: we don't have to travel to NYC to get a rolled ice cream fix anymore. Located right in my hometown of Summit is a new addition to downtown, ZRolls Ice Cream. Although I love eating my way through the City, this new spot beats having to wait in absurdly long lines at 10Below. 

What Is Rolled Ice Cream?

cream, sweet, ice
Hui Lin

Rolled ice cream, a popular dessert that originated from Thailand, has currently been blowing up in popularity in the US. Undoubtedly, half of the fun of the rolled ice cream experience is watching your dessert being created right before your eyes. It starts out with liquid cream being poured onto an extremely cold metal surface where it freezes into a creamy texture. Once additional ingredients have been added into the cream, the frozen mixture is spread thinly across the surface. Finally, it is scraped forward with a spatula to create aesthetically-pleasing rolls of fresh ice cream.

ZRolls' Menu

Lily Jay

ZRolls is a cute little spot that is perfect to visit with your family and friends when you feel like splurging. You can either choose one of the listed specials or create your own flavor, which does include unlimited toppings. Listed below are a few of my favorite rolled ice cream flavors from ZRolls.

Chocolate Club

Lily Jay

Chocolate Club is any chocolate lover's dream. The base is creamy chocolate ice cream blended with Kit Kats, which is then topped with M&Ms, chocolate crunch, chocolate chips and whipped cream. 

Strawberry Shortcake

Lily Jay

Strawberry Shortcake is the ideal flavor for someone who wants a rolled ice cream that won't be so rich that it will weigh them down (such as the Chocolate Club). The rolls themselves are strawberry ice cream with graham crackers blended in, which is then topped with fresh strawberries, strawberry boba, whipped cream, and Teddy Grahams. 

Customized Flavor

Lily Jay

If you're feeling creative, you can take your hand at customizing your very own rolled ice cream creation. I mixed Nutella into vanilla ice cream, and topped it with Oreos, bananas, a toasted marshmallow, and chocolate sauce. I didn't think it was possible, but it actually tasted even more delectable than it looked.

All in all, this ice cream surely did not disappoint. So, if the line for trendy NYC rolled ice cream is two hours too long, or if you're near a ZRolls location, I highly recommend you stop in and give it a try.