Nestled in the little beach town on Oahu's North Shore is Haleiwa Bowl's. This shack is home to America's latest craze: the acai bowl (pron. ah-sai-ee, not ack-ai). The acai berry promotes skin health, weight loss, and is a superfood so it is packed with antioxidants.

Blended with bananas or almond milk and topped with other healthy goodies, this has become a very popular meal for both photogenic and taste purposes. Local Hawaiians (and now foodies everywhere) find this tasty treat to be a perfect post-surf meal. So here's everything you need to know if you ever get the chance to stop by this spot.

1. "The Surf Bowl"

Walker Foehl

Offered at Haleiwa, this bowl consists of acai puree with no other fruits added. It is then topped with organic hemp granola, fresh bananas, raw coconut flakes, and drizzled with honey. The fruit toppings are the freshest and juiciest, coming directly from local Hawaiian gardens. Of course, the presentation of this treat adds a lot as well.

#SpoonTip: Add bee pollen, raspberries and chia seeds for extra tartness and crunch as well as to add protein.

2. Toppings to Acai Ratio

cream, milk, chocolate
Walker Foehl

All the acai bowls at Haleiwa are great because the toppings to acai smoothie ratios are spot on. They not only layer a generous portion of toppings on the top, but there is granola on the bottom of the smoothie so there is crunch in every bite

3. Kombucha On Tap

ice, milk, water
Walker Foehl

Haleiwa also has Kombucha on tap if you are looking for something other than acai. The Kombucha flavors here include Hawaiian Ginger, Mint, Lavender, Mango, Hibiscus, and more and are all phenomenal.

4. Additional Smoothies

coffee
Walker Foehl

If you're not so keen on acai, try a smoothie. Haleiwa's best smoothies include the Mauna Kea (mango, pineapple, strawberries, and apple juice) or the Paniolo (bananas, peanut or almond butter, and dates). 

5. All Dietary Needs are Met

candy
Walker Foehl

Haleiwa's shack is perfect for all dietary requirements. Nearly everything is dairy and gluten free or has the option to be.

#SpoonTip: The gluten free granola is crunchier.