Mardi Gras originated as a celebration prior to the beginning of the 40 days of Lent. Mardi Gras is French for "Fat Tuesday" and takes place the day before Ash Wednesday. 

The purple, green, and gold Mardi Gras beads take over the city of New Orleans. The purple stands for justice, the green stands for faith, and the gold stands for power. However, after long days of parades and partying the purple bead leads you to wonder where you can get a bag of spicy Doritos, the green one to avocado toast, and gold to a beer refill. So here's the guide to which restaurants are actually open during New Orlean's most prominent holiday and celebration.

1. Boot Pizza

Boot Pizza is located right next to The Boot, on Broadway Street, for easy access to a quick slice on the way to a parade. They also have sandwiches, wraps, burgers, chicken fingers, and fries. Pro tip: ask for cold shredded cheese on top and a side of ranch dressing.  

2. Crêpes à la Cart

Crêpes à la Cart is located right next to The Boot on Broadway Street and is the perfect bite after a hurricane drink. Don't doubt the savory crepes because they're just as delicious as sweet ones. 

3. The Camellia Grill

Camellia Grill is on S Carrollton Avenue and one of the most infamous spots in New Orleans. It has a diner menu so it's perfect for any time of the day. The mac and cheese bites are a must, but you can't go wrong with a waffle, pancakes or a milkshake.

4. Pizza Domenica

Pizza Domenica, on Magazine Street, is one of my favorite dinner spots. The garlic knots and cauliflower both come with mouth-watering cheese dips. The pizza comes by the slice or pie. After a long day of Mardi-ing, I could definitely finish the prosciutto pie by myself.

5. Superior Seafood

Superior Seafood, located on St. Charles Avenue, has the best frozen drinks– frosé and pomegranate mojitos. You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning, so get there at the crack of dawn.

6. Superior Grill

Superior Grill, located on St. Charles Avenue, is the ultimate Mexican Mardi Gras spot. Definitely get guacamole, queso-dip, and salsa for the table. Try to go on a Wednesday for their weekly three for one drink special. 

7. District Donuts

District Donuts is on Magazine Street and is the perfect place for a quick snack. From the second you walk in, you get an instant aroma of sweetness. They have simple, fancy, and extra fancy donuts. Make sure to get their king cake Mardi Gras special.

Now after a long day of parades, people, and parties you'll know all the hidden food spots. What's a holiday without food anyways?