When you think of food in LA, you probably think of kale and cold-pressed juices. In such a health conscious city, you might be afraid that a sea of LA salads and overdose of veggies would foster a bland and boring food culture. But it doesn't.

These eight salad options around LA, I guarantee, are anything but.

1. McCarthy Salad - Beverly Hills Hotel

A photo posted by 🔔 (@sabrinaabell) on

Made with lettuce, turkey, egg, tomato, avocado, beets, cheddar, and bacon—all finely chopped—this famous salad is a hard one to beat. For a whopping $35, you're paying more for the quintessentially old-Hollywood ambiance and possible celeb sighting, but for a special occasion, this salad should not be passed over. 

2. Chinese Chicken Salad - Joan's on Third

coleslaw, vegetable, cabbage, slaw, salad, pasta, carrot
Photo by Sabrina Bell

This might be the most addictive salad known to man. Joan's famous Chinese Chicken Salad isn't for someone looking for a light meal (it's prepared with fried chicken, slivered almonds, and tons of crunchy wontons). With locations in both West Hollywood and Studio City, there's no excuse for passing up Joan's. 

3. Chopped Salad - La Scala

This salad, comprised of finely chopped lettuce, salami, mozzarella, and garbanzo beans, is another LA standard. What makes it so special are all the available add-ons: turkey, tuna, red onion, olives, tomatoes and so many more that they take up half a page of the menu. 

And trust me, the dressing is to die for.

4. Grilled Vegetable Salad - The Ivy

A photo posted by 🔔 (@sabrinaabell) on

Half of the reason you go to the Ivy is for the ambiance (and to feel like a celebrity), which explains why this salad of grilled vegetables, corn, avocado, and either chicken or lobster or shrimp can cost anywhere between $31 and $39. 

#SpoonTip: For a much cheaper but basically identical salad, go to Fresh Corn Grill, get the Fresh Corn Grilled Salad, and save $20.

5. Kale Salad - Kreation Kafe

vegetable, meat, pepper, salad, onion, tomato
Photo by Sabrina Bell

For all things healthy, Kreation is the place to go. At the Kafe—on the westside, on Montana Ave in Santa Monica and Abbot Kinney in Venice—you can sit down to have this amazing kale salad featuring chopped kale, quinoa, tomato, cucumbers, and shredded carrots. 

#SpoonTip: Add a chicken kebob (pictured) for some extra protein.

6. Italian Chop Salad - Sycamore Kitchen

For a healthy yet filling salad, Sycamore Kitchen's Italian Chop Salad is ideal. This perfect mixture of radicchio, kale, cabbage, tomatoes, golden beets, almonds, chicken, and finely grated parmesan always hits the spot with fresh, farm-to-table ingredients.

7. Vegan Cobb Salad - The Larder at Tavern

A photo posted by 🔔 (@sabrinaabell) on

For both vegans and meat-lovers alike, this salad is anything but disappointing. With the option of adding chicken (pictured) or salmon, the base of this salad is made up of avocado, beets, tomatoes, sweet potato, and garbanzos. Available at both Larder locations, this perfectly balanced salad makes a healthy, filling lunch.

8. Chinese Chicken Salad - Feast From the East

A photo posted by Baes Love Food (@baeslovefood) on

Consistently rated the best Chinese chicken salad in the city, Feast from the East's bowl is top-notch. Made simply with lettuce, shredded chicken, almonds, green onions, and the best wontons you'll ever taste, its hard not to fall in love it.