It can definitely be a struggle having a non-gluten diet, especially in college. But have no fear! Skidmore students have the luxury of having one of the best college towns, Saratoga Springs, right down the street from campus.

With a plethora of restaurants to choose from, it's hard to know which are the best places to hit-up for your fix of hearty gluten-free food. 

1. Wheatfields

pasta, macaroni, spaghetti, sauce
Zoe Chodak

Wheatfields should be your go-to place for the homemade pasta dishes and other Italian fare for a reasonable price. They have an entire gluten-free menu upon request, and even bring out gluten-free bread to the table (which is OUT OF THIS WORLD).

Unlike other restaurants who merely offer one type of gluten-free pasta, they offer three. My personal favorite is the mac and cheese, which is super cheesy and melts in your mouth. If you aren't in the mood for pasta, Wheatfields also offers all of their pizzas on gluten-free pizza crust. 

Location: 440 Broadway, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

2. Max London's

pizza, crust
Zoe Chodak

Max London's prides itself on its local ingredients, meat specials, and the ever popular wood-fired pizzas, all of which can be made gluten-free. 

The pizzas are huge, so be sure to bring a friend so the two of you can split it. If you are ever in the area for brunch, Max London's has a variety of options, such as their breakfast pizza, topped off with an egg and bacon (yes, I said BACON).

Location: 466 Broadway, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

3. Putnam Market

sandwich, lettuce, cheese
Zoe Chodak

For some of the best sandwiches and lunch food in town, stop by Putnam Market. They have a wide variety of sandwiches, and can make them all on gluten-free bread. My personal favorite is The Governor, pictured above. 

Location: 431 Broadway, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

4. Ravenous Crêperie

If you are in the mood for crêpes, then this is the perfect place to stop by. Depending on the mood that you are in, you could have either a sweet or savory crêpe, (which can all be made gluten-free).

Alongside crêpes, another specialty on the menu are Pommes Frites—which is just a fancy term for french fries. There are a variety of dipping sauces you can choose from, but my personal favorite is the aioli. 

Location: 21 Phila Street, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

5. The Local Pub and Teahouse

cheese
Zoe Chodak

Located on one of the many side streets in Saratoga, this neighborhood pub offers traditional English and Irish food. They have been voted "Best Burger" and "Best Fish and Chips" by Saratoga Today.

The Local has the best gluten-free buns, and their french fries are all gluten-free as well. The prices are pretty cheap, which is an added bonus for broke college students.

Location: 142 Grand Ave, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866