London is bustling, yet refined; it's rainy, then it’s sunny. It’s a city of a million descriptions that can’t be boiled down to a single impression. Similarly, London recognizes you at every one of your million moods: when you’re exhausted from climbing St. Paul's Cathedral and need a carb-loaded snack, when you’re not quite sharp after a night of drinking, or when you're getting spiffy for a family dinner. 

Sarah Fung

You might see the same Big Ben as everyone else, but the real experience comes as you see London on your own personal prerogative. Here’s a rough guide of where to dine for every possible situation you could face during your vacation.

When you have a midnight craving: Beigel Bake

Sarah Fung

No ifs, ands, or buts in this 24-hour establishment; these workers are so used to lengthy lines of customers that they’ve developed an ordering system that moves faster than you can Google what a gherkin is. Beigel Bake's prized salt beef bagel packs juicy cuts of meat in a chewy, doughy bagel, not to subdue the tart company of a spread of mustard. 

Price range: £ (cash only!)

#SpoonTip: It’s pronounced “Bye-gal.” Why? Because “Bae-gal” is the American way.

When you’ve got a long day ahead: Regency Cafe

Sarah Fung

Maybe you’ve got a long itinerary of tourist sights, or maybe it’s just a Monday. A Full English isn’t an everyday breakfast, but it is a staple British food that will start your day with a protein-packed energy boost. A typical plate at Regency Cafe is loaded with baked beans, eggs, sausages, grilled tomatoes, black pudding, and buttered toast.

Price range: £

When you have a sweet tooth: Ben’s Cookies

There are always unexpected turns and bumps while traveling, and this cookie is by no means straight-forward. Ben's Cookies uses a recipe incorporating irregularly sized chunks of chocolate pieces, so every bite has its own sweet ratio of gooey dough to warm, melted chocolate.

Price range: £

When you can’t decide what to eat: Borough Market

Sarah Fung

After walking across the very stable London Bridge, follow the crowd to Borough Market. This historic market has been around for 1000 years and features over 100 unique stalls. In addition to browsing vibrant produce stands, it's common to also grab a freshly pressed cheese-toastie from Kappacasein, brandish a cheese and olive stick from Bread Ahead, or recharge with a cup of Monmouth Coffee.

Price range: £

#SpoonTip: Go with a group of friends so you can share foods from several booths.

When you want to hang out with friends: Nando’s

Nando’s specializes in Portuguese-style Peri Peri chicken served with your own customizable sides and sauce (from Extra Mild to XX Hot). It’s a convenient spot for quick service and satisfying portions of well-seasoned chicken. If you want to bring the flavors home, Nando's sells bottles of its sauces in grocery stores!

Price range: ££

When you’re celebrating a Friday: The Fish House of Notting Hill

Sarah Fung

Fasting from red meat on Friday started from Roman Catholic tradition, so people substituted fish for protein. Today, fish and chips is more regarded as a symbol synonymous with British cuisine, and what better way to celebrate Friday than to feast on fried foods? At The Fish House of Notting Hill, you can also add on sides of mushy peas, curry sauce, or gravy. 

Price range: ££

When you need a comfort meal: Mother Mash

Sarah Fung

Rain can come out of nowhere at the most unexpected times in London. Luckily, Mother Mash welcomes you with warm refuge, hospitable service and popular comfort dishes like bangers and mash. This dish features a set of juicy sausages sitting atop a warm cushion of mashed potatoes, making you dream that jacket potatoes came in wearable form.

Price range: ££

When you’re on a health kick: Wild Food Cafe

Don’t miss the tiny alleyway leading to Neal’s Yard, an oasis of beautiful outdoor decor and hip, trendy shops. Wild Food Cafe puts you in touch with the beauty of natural foods by serving vegan dishes in inconceivably artistic crafts, taking away the fact that your quality meal is hiding more vegetables than any mother hoped to disguise in her child's food.

Price range: ££

When you’re craving Indian food: Dishoom

Did you know that the most beloved dish in Britain is curry? You might also be surprised to know that chicken tikka masala is a British creation, a recipe that can’t be served in a more stylish way than at Dishoom. The classy, yet casual atmosphere sparks with conversation and gleams of silver utensils digging eagerly into lamb chops and bowls of chicken biryani.

Price range: ££

#SpoonTip: The line can get long, but the staff hands out samples of drinks as you wait.

When you want a fun night out: The Bletchley

Sarah Fung

Mix escape room games with alcohol and you’ve got an entertaining night out. At The Bletchley, you step downstairs into a 1940s decorated room where you’re immediately asked for your secret agent name. Each puzzle lets you personalize each beverage based off your answers, challenging you with an enigma that certainly gets harder to solve with every round of drinks. 

Price range: £££

When you’re on a fancy date: Duck and Waffle

Sarah Fung

Duck and Waffle resides on the 40th floor of the Heron building, where a speedy elevator escorts you and your date up to a classy venue that has the best view over London. Not to be overshadowed, the menu items are unique and unlike anything you've had before, including their popular Duck and Waffle dish and stuffed duck doughnut.

Price range: £££

#SpoonTip: Book a reservation near sunset to get the best view of the setting sun over the horizon.

When you’re celebrating a special occasion: L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon

Unless you find a way into the Royal family, dining at L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon is probably the closest to a royal treatment you can experience. The late chef left an exquisite legacy of buttery mashed potatoes, graceful blends of well-picked ingredients, and signature dots of sauce that get delicately placed to dance around your dish.

Price range: £££

Sarah Fung

What makes London truly brilliant is how it has precisely the solution for every hankering, every celebration, and every missed train stop or wrong turn. Anywhere you turn in this massive, historical city, there’s a meal that will cure your travel fatigue, boost a busy morning, and bring your family together.