If midterm season has got you feeling like you need a detox, Urban Remedy is the place for you. The California based health food and juice haven has just opened on College Avenue, and the juices are already flying off the shelves.

herb, pepper
Sarah Fung

Neka Pasquale founded Urban Remedy in 2012 because she strongly believed in the healing power of food. She turned her experience from her Traditional Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture practice into the growing business that now has nine California locations, the newest being Berkeley's.

herb, tea
Sarah Fung

Those with dietary restrictions can rejoice at the store's locally sourced, certified organic, certified non-GMO, low glycemic, and gluten-free products. While its products are mostly vegan as well, Urban Remedy does sell animal-based products like salmon, and Mary's chicken.

pizza, beer, coffee, tea
Sarah Fung

Just walking into Urban Remedy feels cleansing. The store's motto, "food is healing," is printed clearly on the sleek concrete wall surrounded by plants and shelves of their juices and meals. There is even seating if you want to enjoy your purchases in-store.

ice, juice, wine, liquor, soda, alcohol, beer
Sarah Fung

Urban Remedy offers an immense variety of cold-pressed juices and meal replacement shakes that taste as great as they sound. From hangovers to colds, each is carefully crafted for a different curative purpose.

tomato, cheese, vegetable, beef, sandwich, meat, bread, lettuce
Sarah Fung

A great deal of creativity goes into making Urban Remedy's food so healthy and flavorful. The new and delicious VLT for example, is made with a coconut meat wrap, eggplant bacon, and smoked age farmhouse vegan cheese to provide familiar and exciting flavors in a completely vegan, gluten-free dish.

spinach, broccoli, herb, vegetable, kale
Sarah Fung

The same is true for the other unique food options in the store. Their Cheesy Kale Chips gets the cheesiness from olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Himalayan pink salt, and turmeric powder, and the Raw Cacao Mousse substitutes sugar and butter for almond milk, date syrup, and coconut oil. It didn't taste the same – it tasted better. 

liquor, wine, alcohol, beer
Sarah Fung

Though their products aren't cheap, the options are worth it for an occasional treat-yo-self detox or kick-start to your wellness, mood, or energy level. Your productivity may thank you.

cake, tea, beer
Sarah Fung

I am not vegan, but I fell in love with the options at this store because of the surprising flavors and the energizing effect. Urban Remedy made me feel not only full, but fueled. With a revitalizing take on food, health and life, this new store is definitely worth the trip.