I don't know about you, but the first thing that I do when I travel to a new place is do a yelp search. I love exploring local restaurants and trying foods that I can't get when I am at home. 

My favorite thing to do is just enter the name of the city and search all of yelp. The first item that comes up will be the top-rated business on yelp within that city. 

Some of the results that I've gotten from these searches may surprise you. Here are some of the top-rated yelp restaurants from six big cities around the world. 

London, England: Regency Cafe

A cheap hole-in-the-wall breakfast and coffee spot in Westminster, Regency Cafe is not what you’d expect when you start looking for the top rated restaurant in London.

However, the traditional English breakfast “is one of the best in England” according to a Yelp reviewer. Make sure you come hungry to this one.

Fun fact: this is where Daniel Craig dumps tea on the tramp’s face in Layer Cake. 

Los Angeles, California: Tlayuda LA Mexican Restaurant

In a city that’s known for some of the most expensive, high end restaurants in the world, a budget-friendly mexican restaurant that serves breakfast all day takes the top-rated spot.

Tlayuda offers a diverse menu with several vegetarian options and one yelp reviewer goes so far as to say the Huevos Rancheros were the best they’ve ever had. 

Looking for more unique LA eateries? Read this article

New York City, New York: The GoGo Grill

How does a food truck known for its vegetarian options end up the top-rated restaurant in New York City?

Ask former investment banker Fred Taieb and cook Adam Rule. They started The GoGo Grill in 2013 and haven’t looked back since. Yelp reviewers say they have the best falafel and sweet potato chips and they're made from fresh ingredients. 

Need more cheap food trucks in your life? Check out this article about the options near NYU's campus. 

Chicago, Illinois: Spinning J Bakery and Soda Fountain

In a time when so many restaurants are rushing around to be innovative and create new flavor profiles, this top-rated yelp restaurant in Chicago knows people like to keep it traditional.

They serve true craft soda alongside a variety of house-made pies and gelato. One yelp reviewer says Spinning J’s Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie is the best in the city. 

Florence, Italy: All’Antico Vinaio

In a country known for its cuisine, All’Antico Vinaio won the top-rated spot on Yelp by offering cheap street food.

That, however, doesn’t mean that their sandwiches, cheese platters, and deli meats don’t hold up to fine-dining quality standards. Every ingredient is fresh and tastes so delicious that one yelp reviewer said it was the “best sandwich I’ve ever had.”

Dublin, Ireland: Murphy’s Ice Cream

When I was visiting Dublin over spring break, Murphy’s Ice Cream came up as the top-rated restaurant in Dublin in my yelp search and I knew I had to visit. The staff is super generous with samples. It’s not cheap, but with options like Irish Coffee, Sea Salt, and Caramelized Irish Soda Bread, they’re too good to pass up. If you're looking for more foods you need to try in Dublin when you're visiting, check out this article

Yelp's rating system may not be the most accurate, but these top-rated Yelp restaurants have earned their gold medals. Each one serves up quality food to a crowd of hungry fans with a flare that reflects the city they're located in. 

What hidden gems have you found when browsing Yelp?