Did you serve an LDS mission in Africa? Have you always wanted to go on a service trip there? Or do you just want some really dang good food? Then we have just the place for you! The Spoon team hit up this African restaurant in Utah and had quite the experience.

Kelsey Carlson

The Scene

Walking into the restaurant, felt like walking into another world. The decorations were beautiful. It had a slightly dim lit environment and a wide-open dining area.

Kelsey Carlson

We came around lunch when it wasn't too busy and were able to talk to the chef. She was a native from Africa and spoke little English. She told us about the intricacies of making the food, it was a very detailed process.  

Kelsey Carlson

While we waited for the food we were surprised at how much the restaurant represented the culture. There were handicrafts, plants, paintings, and even a traditional African tea set up throughout the place.

Kelsey Carlson

The Food

The menu was huge, there were so many unpronounceable things to choose from!

Kelsey Carlson

Choosing what to eat was hard, so we decided to get a little of everything!

Kelsey Carlson

We got the .... platter that comes with ... different entrees.

Kelsey Carlson

So we'll break it down for you.

1. Kochee FoanII - A yummy well cooked beef chunks in butter, red peppers, onions, ginger, and other spices.

2. Cow Milk Cheese - A salty slightly bitter tasting wet cheese.

3. Kochee Handaangoo - A bold spicy flavored barbecue chicken thigh.

4. Raafuu - A cold collard green in onions, green pepper, garlic, oil, and ginger root. 

5. Kochay Misira - A bold red lentil and onion puree.

6. Dabaaqula - A sweet yet savory yellow squash, onion, and garlic puree. 

7. Waadii - A mild beef chunk sautéed in oil, onions, rosemary, and green pepper. 

8. Ashaakiltii - A mild crispy cabbage, carrots, onions, and green pepper medley.

9. Alichaa Misira - A zesty lentil simmered in turmeric, onions, green peppers, garlic, and ginger root.  

The DL

Go! Not only is the food great, but it comes with an experience. Where else would you be able to chat with your friends about your African experience without needing an airplane ticket? Totally worth it!

africanrestaurant.org

1878 S Redwood Rd, Salt Lake City, UT 84104

(801) 978-9673