As Gen Z-ers—people born from 1995-2012—in a time where America's fusion foods and the newest bites to eat are constantly developing, it's safe to say that we are being raised as citizens of a foodie nation. Food is part of everyones daily life, as it's something that is used for fuel, for friendships, and for fun and enjoyment. This human connection to food is makes Spoon University at Brigham Young so new and exciting!

Whether you are a freshman looking to explore and try new things, or a senior looking to brush up a resume, this student-led organization has got your back. Without further ado, here are some reasons why you should join Spoon University here at BYU!

1) It's a great opportunity to get to know the area better

While a good portion of students at Brigham Young University—Provo are from Utah, there is a larger number that come from different states and countries. As members of Spoon University, we get to explore, check out, and write about local places to eat, and locations we think people should visit before they check out of college. It's essentially creating a giant food encyclopedia for students to use while they are at BYU!

For people from different regions who may be missing a certain dish or cuisine, this can also be a great opportunity to look around and possibly find a restaurant or food truck that has that dish, so you know where to go when homesickness hits hard. Not to mention, we can discover many new places to head to when you are just craving some tasty food.

2) You can get connected with a like-minded network of food and health-loving people!

Just think about it—Spoon University at Brigham Young is a place where we can connect to students from across the world who love food and health a lot! Through Spoon University, you can collaborate an article with someone on the other side of the earth like these two students did, and make friends at you campus who share your passion for food! 

3) Food! Health! Wellness!

We will be doing recruiting events in the fall when we officially bring Spoon University to Brigham Young, most of which will be centered on or about food. Whether that means FREE food, food crawls, or other things, there will be plenty chances during recruiting and beyond to get a free bite or two, and pursue your own interests and passions to boot!

As we may have mentioned earlier, Spoon University also occasionally does something called a 'food crawl' where we go and explore the restaurants and meal options around campus.

4) You can put working with Spoon University on your resume ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Getcho' face out there fam

Walking around in a group setting and tasting local bites is an awesome way for people to get more familiar with the place that is going to be their home away from home for a few years!

I'm sure that you and I both know that BYU is very job-competitive, and that a lot of us at this university "enter to learn; [and] go forth to serve." Getting to put down that you were affiliated with Spoon University—the student-led part of Food Network—on your resume is kind of a big thing, and can potentially help open doors that were previously closed depending on what industry or volunteer association you want to get into. Here, you can learn editing, writing, marketing, and so much more. All of the things you learn with us can translate to future resume fodder ;)

I don't think it hurts to add that there's a chance of the content you create being a major hit and getting circulated all over the internet! Imagine seeing people tagging friends on your video or article and sharing it with other people :) Instant. Fame. Boom. Pretty cool, huh?

5) Do it for the unforgettable memories

At the end of the day, we hope that you will grow to love this experience as much as we do. Getting to work with Spoon University is a chance that goes away after graduation—it's an amazing opportunity that shouldn't be overlooked. There are so many work skills that you can take away from your time with Spoon University, and countless potential friends what can be gained. There isn't any other club on campus that can provide the experience that Spoon University at Brigham Young has to offer. So what are you waiting for? Apply today.

There are so many work skills that you can take away from your time with Spoon University, and countless potential friends what can be gained. There isn't any other club on campus that can provide the experience that Spoon University at Brigham Young has to offer. So what are you waiting for? Apply today.