You would think that Tucson, a city surrounded by desert, is lacking in the fresh fish department. However, this is not the case. Recently, I discovered an Asian-fusion restaurant called 'Azian' (ha-ha), known for its specialty Korean barbecue and affordable sushi. Although I was skeptical at first, the cheap prices and quality seafood made my visit completely worthwhile. It is time to forget about the mainstream sushi places near campus and make the extra drive to this amazing Azian restaurant. 

1. Atmosphere

When you walk into this restaurant, there is a casual, laidback setup. There are green toned booths, bar stools, and regular tables for a variety of dining options. With a toned down lighting and atmosphere, this is the perfect place to go for a chill catch up with friends or a relaxed dinner date. The bar is the coolest feature of this restaurant, as the shelves are illuminated with a bright green lighting. There are multiple television screens around the restaurant, playing various sports games and forms of entertainment. Also, something unique about this restaurant is that they hit a gong and sing a loud song when it's your birthday! I'm not sure if you need to request it, but I've even seen waiters bring the birthday girl/boy a sparkler! 

2. Quantity

When I ordered, I found that I was able to try out at least 5-6 different types of sushi rolls on the menu! Quantities per order came to be about four pieces of sushi, so the prices were much more affordable. Most of the sushi rolls I tried ranged from 2-4 dollars. With such amazing prices, customers are able to try a variety of rolls without filling up too much or breaking the bank. Although served in small quantities, the rolls are made with quality rice, fish, and sauce. There has never been a time where I have ordered here without getting a take-out box. 

3. Taste

When I first tried the sushi, I was very skeptical. I am not much of a fan of the raw seafood in the Tucson area because I feel like the fish is dry and not fresh. I was pleasantly surprised with the variety of sauces and toppings for the different rolls. Clearly, the chefs were very imaginative with their creations, and it paid off with the savory and sweet variety. From burning rolls wrapped in foil to crab meat and mayonnaise, there is something different for everyone to try. 

4. Advice

One thing 'Azian' could improve would be the timeliness and customer service. Often times while dining at this restaurant, I found that customers who entered after me got their orders before me and my fellow diners. It almost felt like the orders were jumbled up and almost served at random. In addition, although the servers were very hospitable and friendly, I felt like they were not very attentive.  I constantly searched for waiters to order my meal and refill water. I think if these minor things were fixed, Azian would be a more enjoyable experience for all customers. 

Overall, I love this affordable and delicious restaurant. Even though the customer service can be improved, this is a great place to get my sushi fix without breaking my budget. I have visited it about three times already, and each time I get to try a couple of new sushi rolls. If you haven't visited this restaurant, I recommend that you should! It's definitely worth the visit.

If you have already tried this restaurant and you want to read about other delicious sushi/Asian restaurants in Tucson, make sure to check out this article!