Each state has at least one iconic restaurant, some that people will actually go out of their way to try. Whether they've been featured in movies, have their own cookbooks, have unique dishes you can't get anywhere else, or are just raved about by the locals, these restaurants stand out from the rest. Here's a list of the most iconic restaurants from each state in the US.

Decatur, Alabama: Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Que

Featured on shows like "Unwrapped" and "The Best Thing I Ever Ate," this barbecue joint serves top-notch barbecue alongside their original white barbecue sauce.

Anchorage, Alaska: Moose's Tooth Pub & Pizzeria

Ranked as the third best pizzeria in the United States, Moose's Tooth offers all sorts of pizza with some great flavor combinations. One of the most interesting pizzas is the Amazing Apricot (blackened chicken, cream cheese, apricot sauce, pepper, carrot, green onion, cilantro, mozzarella and provolone).

Seligman, Arizona: Delgadillo's Snow Cap Drive-In

Located along historic Route 66, this spot is noted for its quirky atmosphere. It was built in 1953 out of scrap lumber, and there's a collection of vintage cars out front along with an interior that is just as quirky—the walls are plastered with photos, business cards, money, etc. The menu serves standard American fare with a humorous twist; such as a "hamburger without ham" and "dead chicken." Visitors to Delgadillo's Snow Cap will definitely get their kicks on Route 66!

Hot Springs, Arkansas: McClard's Bar-B-Q

A favorite of former president Bill Clinton, McClard's Bar-B-Q has been a family owned restaurant since 1928. McClard's began as a motel, and a traveler who couldn't pay his bill offered up a recipe for the world's best barbecue sauce, which the owners accepted. They were pleased with the recipe, began cooking meat with it, and that's how they started their barbecue business. Their most popular items are their rib and fry plates and the tamale spread, which is a tamale covered with Fritos, beans, chopped beef, onions and cheese.

California: In-N-Out

It might be fast food, but does anything say California as much as animal style? You know that if you go to California you're going to go to In-N-Out and Snapchat every moment before you post it on Insta. No shame though—it's delicious!

Denver, Colorado: Denver Biscuit Company

With every menu item revolving around a mile high biscuit, Denver Biscuit Company sure has made their mark on Colorado in the short time they're been open. A personal favorite is the Winona, a buttermilk fried chicken and pimento cheese sandwich.

New Haven, Connecticut: Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana

The birthplace of New Haven-style pizza (also known as apizza), Frank Pepe's has been going strong since 1925. Their specialty is a coal-fired white clam pizza and it's a must-try!

Rehoboth Beach, Delaware: Nicola Pizza

Since 1971, Nicola has been serving up pizza and their legendary Nic-o-Boli to beach goers on the boardwalk of Rehoboth Beach. They even have a vegan option for pizza lovers of all kinds.

Miami Beach, Florida: Joe's Stone Crab

Open October through May for stone crab season, this Miami Beach landmark has been around since 1913. Joe's serves up the best stone crab claws around with their signature mustard sauce. Be sure to grab a slice of their famous key lime pie for dessert.

Atlanta, Georgia: The Vortex Bar & Grill

This adults-only burger joint serves up the best burgers in Atlanta. You can choose from their original, signature, or old school diner burgers. However, if you're looking for something a little more extreme, The Vortex offers "Coronary Bypass Burgers," of which you can get single, double, triple or the quadruple. The last is available as an eating challenge, which consists of eight slices of Texas toast, 32 ounces of ground sirloin, 28 slices of American cheese, four fried eggs, 27 strips of bacon and 12 ounces of mayo, and that's not including the sides!

Honolulu, Hawaii: Duke's Waikiki

Relax and enjoy a meal at this beachfront eatery named after the father of modern surfing, Duke Kahanamoku. Popular dishes include fish tacos and hula pie for dessert, but their breakfast buffet is a crowd-pleaser, too.

Boise, Idaho: Westside Drive In

Eating at this long-standing drive in is like taking a step back into the '50s. They serve your standard burgers, fries, shakes and more, but they even have prime rib on the weekends, some of the biggest baked potatoes you can find, and an Idahoan favorite, finger steaks. One thing that really makes this place stand out is their famous "Idaho Ice Cream Potato." It's vanilla ice cream rolled in cocoa powder, topped with whipped cream, and finished off with chocolate cookie crumbs, peanuts and chocolate sauce. It looks like a pretty convincing tater!

Chicago, Illinois: Lou Malnati's Pizzeria

Lou Malnati's is an iconic pizza joint cooking up Chicago-style deep dish pizza. The father of the founder purportedly invented deep dish pizza while working as a chef at Uno. Since they opened in 1971, they've gotten more locations in Illinois and you can even get it shipped to your house. If you're interested in trying authentic Chicago deep dish pizza, head to Lou Malnati's.

Indianapolis, Indiana: St. Elmo Steak House

St. Elmo's Steak house is well known for their excellent steaks and seafood. This establishment opened it's doors in 1902, and is a recipient of many awards, including being named a 2012 America's Classic by the James Beard Foundation. One of their most popular dishes is their world famous shrimp cocktail, which is four jumbo shrimp topped off with their signature spicy cocktail sauce.

Balltown, Iowa: Breitbach's Country Dining

Breitbach's is the oldest restaurant in Iowa—it opened in 1852! They offer breakfast, lunch, and dinner as well as a buffet option. Popular items are their Saturday night prime rib, their award winning breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches, and fried chicken. People rave about their homemade pies in fun flavors. Some days you can find Snickers cream pie!

Wichita, Kansas: Pig In! Pig Out!

Competition winning BBQ and giant portions make this place one to beat. Just look at the brisket baked potato, it's practically art. I'm down to pig out at Pig In! Pig out! (try saying that three times). 

Versailles, Kentucky: Wallace Station

In the heart of bluegrass horse country, you'll find Wallace Station tucked into the scenery. Pick up an inside out hot brown sandwich while enjoying the views.

New Orleans, Louisiana: Café Du Monde

Maybe you expected it, but who can question the legacy that is Café Du Monde? People who've eaten at this Louisiana staple won't stop talking about it for years and some still order their coffee online just to get their fix.

Portland, Maine: DiMillo's On the Water

Have you ever wanted to dine on lobster... in a floating car ferry? If so, you're in luck, because that's exactly what DiMillo's is all about. Feast on quality seafood while you feast your eyes on a spectacular view of Portland Harbor.

Baltimore, Maryland: Faidley's Seafood

Faidley's opened in 1886 and has been making their famous crab cakes ever since. You can even have them shipped to you anywhere in the United States! Now that's commitment for a crab cake. 

Boston, Massachusetts: Union Oyster House

Union Oyster House is Boston's oldest restaurant and a national landmark. Their rich history starting from the colonial age makes them iconic, but their fresh oysters make them worth the visit.

Frankenmuth, Michigan: Zehnder's Restaurant

Zehnder's has been serving fried chicken and accompaniments family-style since 1856. It's one of the largest family restaurants around and seats 1,500 people. A meal here starts off with appetizers, then the famed fried chicken with sides such as creamy mashed potatoes, vegetables, and buttered noodles. There's even ice cream for dessert! Did we mention that it's all you can eat?

Minneapolis, Minnesota: 5-8 Club

The 5-8 Club, originally opened in 1928, has quite the assortment of burgers — GCB (garlic cheese burger), anyone? Their claim to fame is actually the Juicy Lucy,  a burger stuffed with American cheese. They also have quite a few spins on it, too; there's a thanksgiving version, and even a PB & J one!  If you want to try a one of a kind burger to write home about, head to the 5-8 Club.

Ocean Springs, Mississippi: The Shed BBQ & Blues Joint

The Shed is the place for you if you love BBQ or the blues. This is another place with a unique ambiance. It's in a giant tin roofed shed located near the bayou, built out of junk the owner himself collected through the years. People kept bringing stuff in to add on, and so it grew into what it is today. If you're looking for some killer pulled pork, ribs and other barbecued fair, put The Shed on your list.

Kansas City, Missouri: Arthur Bryant's

Arthur Bryant, the namesake, also went by the title "King of Ribs." Through their iconic legacy, this BBQ joint has an impressive list of celebrity diners from Steven Spielberg to Jimmy Carter. Trust us, you're going to need some extra napkins when you're done drowning everything in their homemade, original recipe BBQ sauce.

Kalispell, Montana: Moose's Saloon

Moose's has been serving great pizza for over 60 years. The atmosphere is pretty cool; you can carve your name onto the tables and walls, and look at all the thousands of old carvings from past customers. There's also free peanuts that you can snack on while you wait. Don't be afraid to throw the shells on the floor here!

Bellevue, Nebraska: Stella's Bar & Grill

Stella's is a burger joint dating all the way back to 1936. The burgers themselves are still cooked on the original cast iron grill. These hand-pressed burgers come served on napkins as part of a long-standing tradition, and everything is fresh (even the fries are hand-cut). Like many outstanding burger joints, there's a food challenge. Try tackling the Stellanator if you dare!

Reno, Nevada: Little Nugget Diner

Little Nugget is known for something called the "Awful Awful Burger" meaning awful big and awful good which I think speaks for itself.

Sugar Hill, New Hampshire: Polly's Pancake Parlor

Started by "Sugar Bill" and Polly Dexter as a tea room in 1938, they originally served all you can eat pancakes, waffles, and french toast for 50 cents. Their menu (and its prices) has of course expanded, but I'd recommend plain pancakes topped with their handpicked, iconic maple syrup.

East Newark, New Jersey: Tops Diner

Named the best diner in the America, Tops serves classic diner fare, but they're really known nationwide for their meatloaf. Other fan favorites include anything from lobster mac and cheese to red velvet pancakes. Fun fact: Their famous cheesecake is made from scratch every day!

Santa Fe, New Mexico: Cafe Pasgual's

Cafe Pasgual's almost always has a line out the door with people waiting to get inside. They serve traditional New Mexican flavors like green chile with their own spin (we're looking at you grilled green chile polenta).

New York City, New York: Katz's Delicatessen

Founded in 1888, this legendary deli is famous for their sandwiches piled high with pastrami, along with Reubens and other Jewish deli staples. Katz's was featured in one of the most famous scenes from When Harry Met Sally, and has a sign marking the table that Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal sat at reading: "Where Harry met Sally...hope you have what she had! Enjoy!"

Raleigh, North Carolina: The Pit 

Visit The Pit for authentic, eastern North Carolina-style barbecue. They serve whole-hog barbecue and it makes for some great chopped BBQ and pulled pork plates. Also popular is the brisket, fried chicken, and ribs, which won a barbecue contest on Food Network's "Throwdown with Bobby Flay." If you need more convincing than that, the banana pudding is to die for.

Bismarck, North Dakota: Peacock Alley

This circa 1933 establishment prides itself on serving the finest cuts of beef and the freshest ingredients. You can't go wrong with any of their steaks, but the hanger steak and cowboy ribeye are their most famous. The sandwiches and burgers are also hits. If you're in the mood for beef, definitely make a trip to Peacock Alley.

Columbus, Ohio: The Thurman Cafe

Thurman's has been cooking up some of the best and biggest burgers you can get since 1942. All burgers are 3/4 of a pound(!!!) and can be ordered with a wide variety of toppings. Some are even served open face on Texas toast. One stand out burger is the Thurmanator: a bun, mayo, lettuce, tomato, pickles and banana peppers, a 3/4 pound burger patty topped with bacon, cheddar and ANOTHER 3/4 pound patty, which is then topped with sautéed mushrooms and onions, ham, and American and mozzarella cheese. Would you be able to conquer this burger?

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma: Cattlemen's Steakhouse

Starting in the early 1900s to feed cowboys, Cattlemen's now is famous to all who know it. Whether you're there for a steak dinner with your boo, or your hoping to catch sight of Reba McEntire, there's a seat for you.

Portland, Oregon: Jake's Famous Crawfish

Considered one of the top 10 seafood restaurants in the world, people flock to Jake's where they're guaranteed fresh seafood with a 125-year-old history. In true Portland fashion, Jake's flies in their Pacific Northwest seafood every single day.

East Earl, Pennsylvania: Shady Maple Smorgasborg

Featuring a 200-foot buffet that seats more than 1,000 people, Shady Maple serves up tasty Pennsylvania Dutch favorites and draws in nearly 1.5 million people annually. Check out the gift shop, too. It's almost as big as the buffet.

Charlestown, Rhode Island: The Nordic

This well-known Charlestown eatery is a seafood buffet known for it's all you can eat lobster. For the meat lovers, there's plenty to choose from as well. With lots of appetizers and sides in addition to its mains and desserts, you have quite a few decadent options to choose from. There's even an ice cream bar!

Charleston, South Carolina: Poogan's Porch

Poogan's is located in a Victorian house built in 1888. It was converted into a restaurant in 1976 and named for a dog named Poogan, who happily greeted customers from the porch. This southern spot serves brunch and — the chicken and waffles are a great brunch pick, and pimento cheese fritters are a perfect accompaniment to your Lowcountry dinner. You can't go wrong at Poogan's!

Rapid City, South Dakota: Firehouse Brewing Company

This is one unique landmark. Firehouse Brewing Co. is located inside the original Rapid City firehouse, which was built in 1915. Their beer bread and artichoke dip is a favorite appetizer, and people rave about their burgers and the "Spontaneous Heating Gumbo" — it was featured on Food Network! Be sure to check out their craft beers as well. You definitely won't experience an atmosphere like this one anywhere else.

Nashville, Tennessee: The Loveless Cafe

Located on Highway 100, this historic cafe has served up traditional southern fare such as fried chicken, country ham, and the like since 1951. But, they are most renowned for their scratch-made biscuits (a secret recipe!), of which they bake up to 10,000 a day, and serve with jam.

West, Texas: Czech Stop and Little Czech Bakery

Texas has a lot to offer, from brisket to soul food to breakfast tacos, but something that sticks out is this little gem in West. This place is known mainly for their kolaches, a Central Europe pastry filled with sweet, fruit compotes or different kinds of meats and cheeses. One thing's for sure, no Texas road trip is complete without stopping by for a box of goodies.

Salt Lake City, Utah: Red Iguana

This family run restaurant opened its doors in 1985 and has been a local favorite ever since. They serve traditional Mexican food and southwestern favorites. People line up for their mole dishes and enchiladas. It's so popular, they had to open up a second restaurant right next door.

South Burlington, Vermont: Al's French Frys

This Burlington institution serves up sandwiches, burgers, dogs and more, but the real star here is their hand cut french fries, double fried to perfection. They've been around since the 1940s, so they definitely have some authority on what makes truly great fries.

Virginia Beach, Virginia: Waterman's Surfside Grille

Check out Waterman's if you're looking for the best of fresh seafood dishes. They offer an excellent array of seafood platters, some of the best crab cakes around, and a variety of sandwiches and burgers. And if seafood isn't your thing, they have steaks, ribs and chicken that are just as mouth-watering.

Seattle, Washington: Pike Place Chowder

Pike Place Chowder has a New England clam chowder so good, it beat East Coast recipes in a national competition not once, not twice, but three times! Now they're boasting lines going around the block, but everyone seems to agree that it is so worth it in the end.

Lesage, West Virginia: Hillbilly Hot Dogs

This place is not your run-of-the-mill hot dog stand. Hillbilly's has a menu of over a dozen gourmet hot dog variations, such as a taco dog, a pizza dog, a nacho dog and even an egg dog. But watch out for their Homewrecker, a 15-inch hot dog piled high with jalapeños, peppers and onions, nacho cheese, habanero, chili sauce, mustard, slaw, lettuce, tomato and shredded cheese. If you can eat it in under 12 minutes, you get a t-shirt and a place on their wall of fame.

Madison, Wisconsin: The Old Fashioned

Matching up to their state's reputation, The Old Fashioned is a cheese lover's dreams. Beer battered cheese curds? Yes please. 

Cheyenne, Wyoming: Luxury Diner

This diner has been cranking out home style cooking since 1926 in their trolley turned restaurant. Come for the classic cup of coffee and stay for the hashbrowns.