Coffee and college go together like peanut butter and jelly. The Chicago coffee culture around UIC has tremendously grown over the past years, and now a good cup of coffee can be found in every direction for the sleep-deprived UIC student. Whether you love it simple and black, opt for tea or pastries, or just want a new study environment all can be found around UIC campus. Here are five best coffee shops near UIC that stand out for one reason or another. 

Most interesting drink: Sawada

Reece Fisher

Don’t blink or you might miss it! Behind a heavily sticker decorated door lies Sawada Coffee, home of the military latte. This is a great place for those who love matcha lattes, as well. Underneath the hundreds of hanging lights, you can sip your coffee in a chill environment. You can always count on impressive latte art designs as well (though be willing to pay a bit more than average for your favorite drink as opposed to other coffee shops). If you’re hungry, you can also check out Green Street Smoked Meats, the restaurant in the same space.

Address:

112 N. Green Street

Chicago, IL 60607

Website: sawadacoffee.com

Best cup of coffee: La Colombe

Reece Fisher

Walk a bit further than Sawada and stumble upon La Colombe, easily the best tasting cup of joe near UIC (and maybe even in Chicago). The shop is not the largest, but for those seeking the simple things in life, this coffee is rich in taste and high quality. If you can’t make it to the shop itself, try one of their canned draft lattes. If you aren’t a fan of black coffee, their draft lattes are uniquely delicious and have non-dairy options. This is a small café without a much space, but still definitely stop in if you can!

Address:

955 W. Randolph Street

Chicago, IL 60607

Website: http://www.lacolombe.com

Most Options: The Coffee Alley

The Coffee Alley is right on Taylor Street and has something for everyone! Whether it’s coffee, tea, or hot cocoa. For the adventurous, they even have a maple bacon latte, double latte caramel macchiato, sparkling latte, or the coconut cream white hot chocolate! If you’re in a picky study group, meeting up here will have everyone pleased! Its convenient location also makes a last-minute meet up extremely easy.

Address:

1152 W. Taylor Street

Chicago, IL 60607

Website: www.thecoffeealley.com

Most affordable: Café Descartes

College is expensive. Café Descartes understands. Here, you can get a small cup of coffee for around $2, which doesn’t break the bank. This is the place to go if you’re in a last-minute situation and need caffeine, but don’t want to fork over $5 for a specialty drink.

Address:

828 S. Wolcott Avenue

Chicago, IL 60612

Website: www.cafedescartes.com

Best study environment: Ground Up

Ground Up is a coffee shop with an open layout and a plethora of tables, accommodating for any size group! There are plenty of outlets and different sized tables, and the baristas are very friendly! There are large tables, and they even have a food menu - perfect for any length of study session or group project!

Address:

900 W. Van Buren Street 

Chicago, IL 60607

Website: https://groundupchicago.com/

Whether it be bright and early in the morning or the fourth cup the night before an exam, let the coffee shop exploring near UIC begin! If you visit any of these or find any other hidden gems, comment and share with us on our social media accounts using the hashtag #SpoonUIC.