New Orleans is known for its unique southern cuisine featuring dishes like gumbo, po-boys, jambalaya, and beignets. You might wonder how a vegan navigates their way through this city. Luckily, there are plenty of restaurants all over New Orleans catering to vegans and vegetarians alike, serving up some amazing food. You’ll find the typical health-conscious cafes, but also some local spots putting a vegan twist on traditional comfort foods. Being vegan in college is easier than it seems, especially when you’re in NOLA. Look no further than this guide to some of the best vegan food in New Orleans. This list is based on personal experience, and trust me, if you haven’t considered veganism by the end, you will. Look no further than below for a list of the best vegan food available in New Orleans

1. Breads on Oak

Olivia Winnick

Breads on Oak is a vegan paradise. This cafe and bakery is located in Uptown New Orleans, only a short drive away from campus, and offers an incredible selection of bread, pastries, sandwiches, salads, and sweets. They have indoor and outdoor seating in a charming atmosphere, and they also offer takeout and delivery options.

Everything is 100% plant-based and made from scratch, but trust me, you would not believe that some of the items on the menu are vegan. The pumpkin cheddar biscuit sandwich is one of their most popular breakfast items, and the happy hen sandwich is one of my personal favorites for lunch. It features chickpea “eggless” salad, cucumber, avocado, mixed greens, and "veganaise" on sourdough bread.

Satisfy your sweet tooth with some of the delicious treats made fresh daily. I 10/10 recommend the chocolate chip walnut cookie, the brownies, and the tea biscuits. Whether you are a longtime vegan or you’re just interested in keeping it plant-based for a meal, you do NOT want to miss out on Breads on Oak.

2. Kindred

Kindred is another favorite among vegans in New Orleans, and it is known for its wide variety of plant-based comfort foods. This casual dining spot is conveniently located a walk or short drive away from campus. The menu is 100% vegan, featuring creative plant-based twists on fried chicken sandwiches, salads, po-boys, mac n’ cheese, and more. Kindred also offers a daily selection of desserts and pastries. A personal favorite of mine is the Kindred salad, but you really can’t go wrong with anything on the menu. They are currently open for dine-in as well as takeout and delivery, so be sure to give Kindred a try.

3. Max Well

Max Well is the perfect place for a delicious vegan lunch or dinner. It opened its doors on Magazine Street in 2017 on a mission to serve healthy and plant-based foods to the community. Fun fact: the creator of this restaurant, Maxwell Eaton, studied nutrition at Tulane.

The menu is completely vegan and offers a variety of innovative and tasty dishes. I’m a huge fan of the "Bahn mi" and the "Sparta" power bowls, but the lasagna and the charcuterie are also must-try items. This casual, health-conscious eatery emphasizes the importance of a plant-based lifestyle for the planet, for personal health, and for the animals. If you’re interested in going vegan, Max Well should definitely be one of your first stops.

4. Bearcat Cafe

Olivia Winnick

Bearcat Cafe is where you’ll find me in all my plant-based glory. This favorite local spot caters to vegans and non-vegans alike with its creative menu in a casual dining setting. There are two locations in New Orleans but stick to the Uptown location if you prefer to be closer to campus.

The menu is divided into two sections: “good cat” and “bad cat.” Vegans should look to the “good cat” section, where you’ll find some of the best plant-based dishes in town. For breakfast, go for the chia pudding or the blueberry pancakes (you will NOT believe these are vegan). If you prefer something savory, some of my all-time favorites are the vegan bearcat, the vegan ranchero, and the vegan quesadilla.

The lunch menu at Bearcat will not disappoint either, especially with the farro bowl or the trumpet scallops, if you’re feeling fancy. Even though Bearcat Cafe is not a completely plant-based restaurant, you really won’t run out of vegan options here. Don't just take it from me about how amazing this place is, go see for yourself only a short walking distance away from campus.

5. The Daily Beet

Olivia Winnick

The Daily Beet is another fan-favorite in NOLA. It's known for being a farm-to-table cafe specializing in healthy cuisine for breakfast and lunch. It is currently open for takeout and delivery only, but don’t let that stop you from getting a taste of some of the amazing food offered.

The banana oatmeal pancakes are served with strawberry cashew cream, toasted walnuts, seasonal fruit, and maple syrup, and are out of this world. Whether you are vegan or not, you need to try these pancakes (trust me). Other popular plant-based items on the menu include the rainbow bowl and the Thai peanut salad. The Daily Beet is the perfect place to go when you’re craving some healthy and incredibly delicious eats.

6. Satsuma

Olivia Winnick

This community-based, casual-style cafe has some outstanding vegan options. Satsuma has three locations in New Orleans, and the one on Maple Street is only a walk away from campus. The vegan curry scramble is one of the most popular plant-based plates. This dish comes with your choice of quinoa or tofu (or both), cauliflower, kale, and sweet potato in a coconut-ginger curry sauce. If curry isn’t your thing and you would rather bite into some comfort food, be sure to try the vegan grilled cheese. This mouthwatering sandwich is made with vegan cheddar cheese, vegan almond pesto, and fresh tomato on sourdough bread. Don’t forget to end your meal at Satsuma with something sweet by going for the vegan double chocolate chip cookie.

Being only a few months vegan and new to college, I had no idea what to expect in terms of the food options in New Orleans. What I quickly learned is that this city is FILLED with amazing plant-based eateries and restaurants that serve some of the best vegan food in all of New Orleans. I’ve been loving every plant-based bite I’ve had, and I hope you will check out my favorites based on the list of the best vegan food in New Orleans.