Let's face it. Vancouver is one of Canada's largest ramen capitals. Everywhere you go, you will find a ramen joint, and for good reason too. It's freaking delicious. I mean what can beat a delicious tonkotsu broth bowl of noodles (especially when the rain clouds come out, am I right)? 

Hokkaido Ramen Santouka - The Beyoncé

soup, ramen
Gavin Gao

What can I say? This was my first ramen experience and whether I hold this place up on a pedestal because of my sentimental feelings or because it truly is one of the best ramen joints in Canada has yet to be determined. The rich (but not too rich) and creamy broth, the perfect noodles, and the melt in your mouth chashu (try the toroniku and thank me later) all come together to form the perfect bowl.

This is the Beyoncé because it's the gold standard of ramen. The broth hits you like a warm hug (the feeling that can only be described as jamming out to "I Am... Sasha Fierce"). It truly makes you feel like a celebrity. 

Kintaro Ramen - The Britney

chicken, soup, ramen
Gavin Gao

Kintaro is a place that I hold very dear to my heart. You wait in a classic ramen shop that exudes a hip feel. You see the men behind the counter hand-preparing every single bowl that leaves and you wait there looking at the big red bowls just hoping that the next one will come to you. You see the final touches of the final splashes of lard and you put your hands together. Please come to me

My favourite part is how customizable this ramen is. Whether we're talking about Mouseketeer Britney, Schoolgirl Britney, '07 Britney (I'm sorry), or even Modern Britney there is only one joint that has enough variety to satisfy you no matter which Britney you are. It's truly a diva and a place that you should definitely visit. 

Danbo Ramen - The Madonna

rice, ramen, soup
Gavin Gao

Another place that holds a special place in my heart. Danbo has become sort of a Vancouver ramen chain (this is very good because high quality and accessible ramen is nowhere close to UBC). Fresh Fukuoka-style ramen (I have no idea what this means) in a cute and cozy café style ramen joint. What could be better than that? You can pick the level of spice, garlic, broth intensity, and noodle thickness here. What's more Madonna?

It's like Britney, but a little more extra. Their broth is just a little more complex and their ramen is just a little more fine to the tooth. But no matter which one you pick, it's going to be an amazing choice. 

The Ramen Butcher - The Trump

soup, ramen
Giovanna Stefanutto

So... I don't really know what to say here. I came here yesterday for the first time with the highest of expectations (after all, this place has a cult like following on social media). In addition, when my photographer and I got seated we found the waitresses to be super friendly and kind. However when I started eating, it left much to be desired. I ordered the traditional tonkotsu ramen with a chashu-don. In defence of the restaurant, the chashu-don was delicious. Pieces of succulent, melt-in-your-mouth pork and kimchi on rice, what more could you want? 

Sadly that's where the positives ended for me. It was truly just not an enjoyable bowl (in my opinion). First off, just looking at the broth, it had a dull, pale, and white pallor. Then when I took the sip, I felt full. This soup was thicc (seriously, I mean thicker than the macaron icing at Soirette thicc) and tasted of mayonnaise rather than the complex and "porky" flavour that I have had in the past. All-in-all, I hope that you all still try this place since they have many unique flavours (and their chashu-don was O-M-G).

As with anytime I talk about food, I still hope you try all of these places because hey, maybe I'm just crazy and my taste buds go against the status quo.