Tacos, pasta, sandwiches, and the weekly Sunday brunch (including the accompanying mimosas) are some of the most comforting meals there are. While everyone has their favorite places at home where they can go to savor these classic comforts, learning the best restaurants in town can be difficult at first when studying abroad in a foreign city. That's why, when it comes to Barcelona, I've made it easy for you with my personal recommendations of the best of the best of Barcelona. 

The Best Brunch: Brunch and Cake 

Rachel Straining

Brunching is basically every college girl's favorite pastime. So, it was no surprise that brunch remained a staple meal in my and so many other's diets while studying abroad. Without my local hometown diner right around the corner, I devoted myself to finding the best place for brunch in Barcelona and rightfully found Brunch and Cake.

With a name that includes the word brunch in it, the expectations for some stellar brunch specials are immediately high. Serving up pretzel-bun chicken sandwiches served with a syringe full of avocado (nope, you're not dreaming) and the most artfully-crafted avocado toast you'll ever see, Brunch and Cake surpasses even the wildest brunch expectations. Not only is the food out-of-this-world delicious, but it also makes for one heck of a photo-op. You can’t go to Barcelona without going to Brunch and Cake, and you definitely can’t go to Brunch and Cake without instagramming about it. 

The Best Sandwich (Platter): Bo De B

Rachel Straining

Sandwiches are like a universally spoken language and can be found anywhere on the planet. While your favorite college-town deli may be a few hundred miles away, Bo De B is known for having the best bocadillo (Spanish for sandwich) in Barcelona, and their food certainly lives up to the hype. Just ask a fellow #spooner, who went on a quest to find the greatest sandwich in Barcelona. The constant line out of this small, corner restaurant is enough alone to prove that Bo De B is the best in the business when it comes to the masterful art of sandwich making. With only about for tables inside, Bo De B is usually best ordered to go and eaten at the nearby pier. 

I know what you're thinking — If Bo De B has the best sandwiches, why showcase a picture of a platter of food? Now, if you're looking to limit you're daily carb intake, whether you're gluten free like me or just wanting to save some extra room for a hearty serving of patatas bravas later that day, Bo De B's salad platters are an equally satisfying option. They're made with all of the same ingredients that go into their sandwiches, just on a plate! No bread? No problem! 

Just like their sandwiches, their salad plates are customizable; you start off with a base of lettuce, cabbage, lentils, or even all three, choose your protein (the grilled chicken is my personal favorite), and add all the fixings, like feta, tomatoes, onions, and avocado. All the good stuff. Be sure to ask for their special sauces on top, too! No Bo De B meal is complete without them. 

The Best Pasta: Da Greco 

Rachel Straining

Have you ever wanted to try Beyonce and Jay Z's favorite restaurant? I guess you better go to Barcelona then! The couple has confessed that Da Greco in Barcelona is their go-to place for the best pasta in the world, and I couldn't agree more. No other Italian restaurant compares, not even in Italy. Doubt it? Go ahead and ask Queen Bey, I know she'd agree. 

Pasta is perhaps the ultimate comfort dish, and Da Greco is entirely unique and in a league of its own. For the food, of course, but also because the waiters will bring you out an extra serving of whatever dish you order for the entire table to try. That's right, two of the best plates of pasta for the price of one. All of their menu items are to die for, but the white truffle ravioli is easily a stand out. For all my fellow gluten free foodies, you can replace any pasta dish with gluten free penne, and they'll serve it to you with the exact same sauces and everything!  If one thing's for sure, it's that you'll never leave Da Greco hungry. But, you will leave wanting to come back again, and if you're me, again and again. 

The Best Tacos: Pikio Taco 

Rachel Straining

Am I the only one who craves tacos weekly? Okay, fine, if we're being honest — daily. Although they may be more of a Mexican favorite than a Spanish staple, Barcelona is chock-full of surprisingly authentic taco joints. If you were to poll students studying abroad in Barcelona and ask them where to find the best taco in town, the majority would respond with a resounding "Taco Alto." Don't get me wrong, Taco Alto is a must-try if you're looking for cheap and tasty tacos near some of the city's most touristy places, like Cituadella Park and the Arc du Triumph. However, Pikio Taco is one restaurant that not as many people no about, yet which serves up the best tacos I have ever had in my life, and I've had my fair share of tacos.  

Pikio Taco is truly a hidden gem of Barcelona. This unassuming taqueria in the Gracia district is easy to miss if you don't know where to go, but, pro tip: don't miss it! Otherwise, you'll truly miss out. Order one of their frozen margaritas and chips and guac while watching them craft their signature tacos on the stovetop right before your eyes. Their "Auguascaliente" taco is by far the best on the menu, made of pulled pork carnitas with creamy avocado sauce, shredded pork rind and pico de Gallo. The combination of flavors and textures, from the sweet and spicy pork marinade to the salty crunch of the pork rinds, will make you buzz with happiness. That could also be from the margaritas, too.

Whether you're visiting Barcelona for the first time, or spending a few months there living and learning in the most beautiful city on the world (no, I'm not biased at all) you might tire from tapas and crave some comfort food. There's no need to use Yelp or TripAdvisor to find the best of Barcelona. Take if from me, you've got all you need to know right here.