With over 900 doughnut shops in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, it seems every corner you turn, the dessert sanctuaries make promises of having the "Best Donuts in Town". As a once naïve foodie, I believed nearly every one of those signs. Thus, over the course of numerous years and countless donuts, I've been able to track down the real hotspots of these breakfast treats in North Texas. From colorful and trendy, to contemplatively unique and abundantly tasteful, these doughnut shops are doing it right. So to help every adventurous eater, food lover, and doughnut craving Texan, here is a list of my five best doughnut places in Dallas to make your morning delicious.

Most Creative: Hurts Donuts

I first fell in love with this company when I was visiting some family friends in Springfield, Missouri about six years ago. Any flavor, topping, or combination you can imagine, Hurts has them. The thing that makes Hurts stand out from the crowd as the most creative is the trendy, delicious, and unique toppings. From tasty cereal to mini candies, Hurts will deliver the most outlandish creations in all of Dallas. So as a blessing from the donuts gods above, Hurts opened one of its sixteen locations right here in the Dallas area.

This place is so good that over the summer my friend and I actually left a party and drove an hour each way just to get some Hurts. And it's not just me, food lovers from coast to coast are raving about this gem. The best part is you can get all of these delights at any time of the day. That's right, Hurts is open 25/8 as they like to say. So while it may be a bit of a drive, be sure to make a visit to Frisco, TX, or one of their many locations across the nation, and satisfy all of your sweet cravings.

Most Unique: Glazed Donut Works

Banana pudding, passion fruit milk chocolate, strawberry brioche, rosewater, s'mores, Saigon cinnamon sugar, pineapple rum fritter, and maple pecan are just a few of Glazed uniquely delectable flavors. This place isn't just your ordinary glazed donut though. Every part of the process at this Deep Ellum hotspot is meticulously crafted to deliver the best experience. From handmade marshmallows to in-store crafted fillings, this donut shop has it all.

Like most things in Deep Ellum, even the hours at Glazed are unique. With only four days of the week to get a bite of heaven, be sure to stop by 9p-2a Thursday through Sunday, and 7a-11a on Friday morning. Now you can get your donut fix and a midnight snack in one place thanks to the amazing and unique creations at Glazed Donut Works right in the heart of Dallas, Texas. 

Most Photogenic: Sweet Daze

Nestled in Richardson, TX, Sweet Daze has been a huge food trend in Dallas for a while, and as a self-proclaimed donut aficionado, this dessert sanctuary quickly made it to the top of my list. Not only are these donuts works of art, they also taste scrumptious. At first glance, I thought the colorful royal-icing coating might make the donut hard and dense, but I was far from the truth. The donut itself is light, fluffy, and melt in your mouth perfection. 

Just a singular donut will run you anywhere from $3-$4, but for a little bit more, you can make this work of art into a world-renowned masterpiece. Not only does Sweet Daze offer top-notch designer donuts, they whip up some serious artisan soft-serve that can't be beaten. For only $5.50, pick your favorite donut and top it with your selection of Black Velvet, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Fruity Pebbles, or Mango Pineapple soft serve and make your visit unforgettable. Whether you're looking for a beautifully crafted donut or an all-out dessert experience, Sweet Daze is the place to go in the Dallas area.

Best All Around: JK Donuts

Noah Hutchinson

From my earliest memories, donuts have been, and always will be my favorite. Favorite sweet treat, favorite dessert, and of course favorite breakfast food. And it all started here at JK Donuts. Tucked away in a suburb of a suburb with a population of only a thousand, St. Paul, Texas holds this gem awaiting discovery. The texture is the perfect balance between density and fluffiness, the taste is seriously unbeatable, and the frosting and glaze top it off to make the whole experience unforgettable. The best part is, unlike some of the other supremely delicious donut shops, this place won't break the bank.

Now yes, I'm sure this claim that JK is the literal best in all of Dallas seems a little bias since of course. This donut shop is right around the corner from where I grew up. But I'm not exaggerating when I say this family-run hidden gem should be on every food loving person's bucket list. JK Donuts has quickly become one of the best donut places in Dallas, and I'm sure once you take a bite, it'll be yours too.

Honorable Mention: Voodoo Doughnut

While this entire article is focused on the best donut places in Dallas, I'd be remised to not mention Voodoo Doughnuts. With eight locations in Portland, Eugene, Denver, Austin, Hollywood, and Orlando, the closest place North Texans can get to doughnut heaven is by making a trip to the Lone Star State's capital. While a four-hour drive just for some doughnuts may seem a little much, it'll all be worth it when you take your first bite of these extravagantly delicious sweets.

All I have to say is that this place is so good that after my first visit to the Austin location, on my family's summer trip to Oregon, all three of Voodoo Doughnuts locations in Portland made it to the top of our to-do list.

From works of art to the comfort of hometown delights, doughnuts come in many flavors and colors but they all can turn a frown upside down within a matter of a few bites. It's no secret that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. So why not start your day off with a little sweetness?