There is no denying that Purdue's campus has some great options when it comes to satisfying your sweet tooth. You can grab a creamy milkshake from Pappy's Sweet Shop on your way to class or settle into a study session at Greyhouse while spooning down their incredible gelato. In fact, there are a handful of classic Purdue restaurants that offer awesome desserts.

But sometimes, you get an intense craving that you simply can't ignore. For those times when you can't be satisfied by the campus options and you're willing to convince your friends to drive you over the bridge into Lafayette all in the name of sugar, we've got a list of the best places to get dessert near Purdue.

Mary Lou Donuts

Sure, you could drive all the way out to the Tippecanoe Mall and wait in line at Dunkin Donuts. Or you could take a quick ten minute trip to Mary Lou Donuts and take your taste buds on a magical journey. Break away from chain restaurants and enjoy a local favorite with prices that can't be beat (get their chocolate frosted with sprinkles - you won't be sorry). We love our Dunkin here at Spoon Purdue, but you can't beat the taste of homemade.

Mama Ines Mexican Bakery

Speaking of homemade, this local Mexican bakery serves delicious and authentic pastries, cakes and any other Mexican treat you can imagine. They ensure all of their products are made with natural ingredients with no artificial preservatives, so you can feel less guilty about indulging your sweet tooth. This is a great option if you want to branch out and try more traditional treats at an affordable price.

McCord Candies

So maybe homemade donuts and Mexican pastries aren't really your thing. If your cravings can only be satisfied by #throwbackthursday treats, McCord Candies is the way to go. They first opened up shop in 1912, and the inside has not really changed in the 105 years they've been open. It gives you that nostalgic vibe as soon as you walk through the door.

Their soda fountain is original, meaning you can still get an old-fashioned vanilla Coke. If you happen to go around the holidays, their handmade candy canes are a local favorite you need to try before leaving Purdue.

Kathy's Kandies

Sticking with the theme of homemade and nostalgic, Kathy's Kandies offers a wide variety of assorted chocolate and non-chocolate treats in personally-sized packaging (AKA no sharing needed). Because they make their products in-house daily, you can be sure whatever you buy is fresh. Almost any kind of candy can be found for a good price, so skip the candy isle next time you're shopping for groceries and treat yourself to a bag of unique, handmade candy.

Silver Dipper

This list would not be complete without including a West Lafayette favorite. It's hard to beat a classic dessert like ice cream, and no one does it better than Silver Dipper. With so many unique flavors to choose from and a family-friendly atmosphere, what's not to love? And if you consider yourself the above average ice cream lover, they offer a unique challenge not found at most other ice cream shops: the Mini Monster challenge. We've tried it before, and trust us - it's not for the faint of heart.

There's no question that Purdue's campus offers some amazing restaurants for students to choose from, but sometimes you have to take the plunge and venture off campus for some truly unique treats. With so many locally-owned shops to choose from, you can be sure to find something new. The next time your craving hits, take the time to scope out one of these businesses - it'll be worth the gas money.