The Cannes Film Festival is as much about the films as it is about the buttery croissants. After a three-hour German comedy, the movie-goers venture to the many bistros, beach side restaurants, and creperies to sustain themselves for a Korean Zombie movie or a Woody Allen film. Using the festival’s own selection criteria, below are the Cannes Film Festival Food Prizes. Be warned that baguettes and rosé are Cannes’ popcorn and coke.

Palm D’Or: Relais des Semailes

pie
Alexandra Schenker

Relais des Semailles is a classic French Riviera restaurant that features French food with a Mediterranean twist. It is located on Le Suquet, one of the most picturesque streets in Cannes. This winding, steep, road houses some of the best food in Cannes. During the festival, Relais des Semailles has a set menu for a reasonable 32 euro that includes an appetizer, main, and dessert. The highlight of the meal was a tie between the duck breast with Port sauce and the gnocchi with summer truffles.

Pricing: $$$

Grand Prix: Astoux et Brun

platter, fish, shrimp, lemon, crab, shellfish, seafood, lobster
Alexandra Schenker

Astoux et Brun is located right off The Croissette with beautiful outdoor seating. They have by far the best seafood in Cannes, particularly their oysters. Nothing could be better than the view of the big shots walking in their gowns to Grand Théâtre Lumière, partially impeded by heaping seafood platters.

Pricing: $$$

Best Director: Miramar Plage, Beef Bar

soup
Alexandra Schenker

Since the jury gave two prizes for Best Director this year, the Spoon University jury will do the same. Best Director must go to the people who scored the location on the beach. Miramar Plage and Beef Bar are my favorite beach side restaurants. The views of the French Riviera make the pricier cuisine worth it. Miramar Plage is a great place for an upscale dinner. The lobster pasta was by far the standout dish, with the Branzino taking a close second place. And of course, don't forget the rosé.

#SpoonTip: Glasses of rosé are around $3 at most restaurants. 

Pricing: $$$

Best Screenplay: Pastis

Alexandra Schenker

Although Pastis exists in America, it has to take the award for Best Screenplay because of its menu’s mealtime flexibility. Pastis boasts glutinous croque monsieurs, pizzas for lunch and juicy steaks with pomme frites for dinner.

#SpoonTip: If the wait is too long at Pastis, try across the street at Bobbo.

Pricing: $$

Jury Prize: Zoa

shrimp, wasabi, rice, seafood, fish, tuna, avocado, salmon, sushi
Alexandra Schenker

Zoa was a staple for us when we needed a break from the relentless buttery croissants and pomme frites. Zoa is a great quality Asian fusion restaurant. The highlights were the Thai shrimp salad and the Rainbow Chirashi bowl.

Pricing: $$

Best Actor/Actress: La Pizza Cresci

syrup, whipped cream, apple, cream
Alexandra Schenker

La Pizza is the first restaurant most cabbies recommend. It wins Best Actor/Actress because its star on the menu really shines. Can you guess what it is? The pizza. P.S. the tarte Tatin is not to be missed.

Pricing: $

Palm d’or Short film: Café Pico

tomato, toast, fried egg, bacon, egg
Alexandra Schenker

For any student who has gone to the Cannes Film Festival through Penn, Café Pico is dear to their hearts. Across the street from La College International de Cannes, Café Pico is a small restaurant that specializes in over-easy eggs. For only eight euro, a student can get two eggs with bacon, a buttered baguette and freshly squeezed OJ. The croissants and coffee are also a must for the early morning run to the 10 AM movie at the Salle du 60ème.

Pricing: $

Palm d’or Un Certain Regard: Palm d’Or at Hotel Martinez

Because I didn't see the movie that won the Palm for Un Certain Regard, I thought it would be appropriate to feature a restaurant I unfortunately did not have the time (or funds) to make it to. La Palme d’Or at Hotel Martinez is a world-renowned restaurant in Cannes. The stars and big shots in the business mozy down from their hotel rooms to this exquisite restaurant. Try and stop here for a drink for the celeb sightings. 

Pricing: $$$$

These top restaurants in Cannes are not to be missed. Where else will you sit at neighboring tables to George Clooney and Park Chan-wook?