Tapas in the City is a relatively new pop-up restaurant event that started in June 2016 by Rachel (@liketheteaeats) and Jordan (@jzeats), two very enthusiastic Baltimore food bloggers/instagrammers. Due to their consistent experience of not being able to decide on what to eat, Rachel and Jordan took the innovative steps to create Tapas in the City, which allows people to enjoy both the best items on the menu and get a sneak peek on food that will be featured on future menus (say whaaat?).

Exploring one restaurant a month, Tapas in the City highlights the best eats in Charm City.  For the month of November, I had the opportunity to check out their event at Wayward Southern Bar and Kitchen in Fed Hill. And let me just say, I was not disappointed one bit.

#spoontip: Make sure to attend the event with a completely empty stomach. Tapas in the City knows how to treat their guests with copious amounts of delicious food.

Tapas #1: Grilled Cornbread with Pimento Cheese, served with Les Lunes.   

cheese, cheddar, bread, bacon, chili
Sarina Raman

First off, let's all take a moment to look at that pimento cheese drip. Wayward definitely knows a thing or two about presentation. The mix of the charred scallions, sweet taste of the cornbread, and smooth texture of the cheese all melded perfectly to create a wonderful dish—a fantastic way to start the night. 

Tapas #2: Pulled Pork Arancini made with Braised Pork Shoulder, Vermont cheddar, and Smoked Peach BBQ.

Sarina Raman

I have to admit,  I was slightly intimidated by this dish when it was placed in front of me. The presentation was amazing and I didn't want to ruin it. Then my hunger took over, and in the following few seconds, I took my fork and sliced through the breaded sphere, spilling a mixture of pulled pork and rice. The BBQ sauce and cheese were the perfect additions to bring out all the flavors.

Tapas #3: Burrata Salad with Mesclun Greens, Honey Lime Vinaigrette, Beets 2 Ways, and Walnut Dust, served with La Menza Sangiovese.

With cornbread and pulled pork sitting nicely in my stomach, I was glad a salad was next on the menu. As I peered down at it, this pillow-y white ball was looking back at me. Naturally, I poked it with my fork and the thin seal that concealed the cheese broke. The crunchiness of the greens, acidic taste of the vinaigrette, and softness of the burrata made this one of the best salads I have ever tasted.  

Tapas #4: Brisket Mac n' Cheese made with Smoked Brisket and Gouda.

Sarina Raman

I didn't know whether to keep smelling the 14 hour Texas Brisket that was on top of the mac n' cheese or keep marveling on how cute the mason jar was. The tender brisket, along with the silky, Gouda mac n' cheese, defined southern comfort food at its finest. 

Tapas #5: Wayward Slider made with Ground Brisket, Bacon, Cheddar, Tobacco Glaze, and Whiskey Poached Pear served with a Tennessee Stud.

Five Tapas in and I could feel my stomach expanding. And next was a slider? I couldn't miss this dish because it had the unique touch of whiskey poached pear—and I just had to try it. With the sweet taste of the Tennessee Stud on the side, this adorable slider contained a lot of bursting flavors.

Tapas #6: Grilled Biscuit with Vanilla Bourbon Ice cream, served with Rus' Mexican Cafe.

dairy product, meat
Sarina Raman

I am a huge ice cream lover, so when I heard there would be a grilled biscuit and Rus' Mexican Cafe poured on top, I knew this would be a treat. Presented in a sleek ceramic mug, I demolished this amazing dessert in a jiffy. The soft biscuit, sweet vanilla ice cream, and the final kick of Rus' Mexican Cafe made this last tapas of the event memorable.

All in all, my experience at Tapas in the City got two thumbs up and a big smile. It's no surprise that tickets sell out quickly for their events. Rachel and Jordan are changing the way people explore Baltimore food in a unique and creative way. If you want to indulge in this experience, grab your tickets at Tapas in the City's website for their next event happening in Twist in Fell's Point—you too will not be disappointed.