There's a lot to look forward to upon returning to school after winter break, but no one was expecting an acai bowl machine in Benson. Thought to be a rumor for weeks, the (very real) acai machine is giving the dining hall's tater tots a run for their money. 

Wait, What's Acai?

milk, dairy product, cream, sweet, berry, strawberry
Lauren Kemble

For those who aren't familiar, acai (psst it's pronounced ~ah-sigh-ee~) is a berry from Brazil and is thought to have many health benefits. Packed with antioxidants and healthy omegas, Sambazon has nothing but raving praise for the superfood, calling it "a perfect combination of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, giving it a creamy mouth feel and loads of trace minerals and essential nutrients.”

The Acai Machine Lowdown

tea, coffee, beer
Lauren Kemble

The machine is made by a company called Sambazon that specializes in acai products, from energy drinks to acai powder. Although the machine experienced some malfunctions during the first couple of days of its arrival in Benson, it's safe to say it now runs smoothly. Acai has been a trendy food for a while now, and with more and more stores (and even other schools) offering this frozen superfood, it's no surprise that Santa Clara University decided to hop on the acai bandwagon.

blueberry
Lauren Kemble

Benson, providing students with bowls they can fill up and take on the go, also offers toppings such as fruit (bananas, strawberries, blueberries, etc), honey, seeds, granola, and almonds. Whatever your topping preference, schedule out some time to grab your bowl-- the acai machine is sure to be a crowded place on campus for months to come.