Sick of all your usual food haunts and dining halls? NYU’s surrounding Greenwich Village offers solid, affordable options whether you’re seeking a quick bite between classes or meeting up with friends after school. NYU Spoon takes to MacDougal and Sullivan streets to check out the best joints to fill those empty stomachs on a school day.

1. Too cold to function?

Craving for some piping hot soup to chase away those rainy day blues? In case you haven’t heard, Saigon Shack on MacDougal cooks up one of the best Vietnamese pho around.

Quick Bites in Greenwich Village

Photo by Delissa Handoko

Quick Bites in Greenwich Village

Photo by Delissa Handoko

Rare, thin-cut beef slices, beef meatballs and delightfully springy rice noodles soaked in a bowl of hot flavorful broth is sure to satisfy any noodle soup craving.
Quick Bites in Greenwich Village

Photo by Delissa Handoko

The quick and efficient service means a short wait on most days despite the seemingly never-ending line. Food is also served fast, so you need not worry about missing your next class. Cash only.

Tip: ‘Pho’ is always served with a plate of green veggies–bean sprouts, Thai basil and fresh lime. Add these, as well as Sriracha and hoisin sauce for a kick to your broth!

cheap
Address: 114 MacDougal St (between 3rd and Bleecker)
Hours of Operation: Sun-Thu 11am-11pm; Fri, Sat 11am-1am

2. When you’ve only got a New York minute

If you need an instant bite to satisfy those midday hunger pangs, look no further than Mamoun’s Falafel.

Quick Bites in Greenwich Village

Photo by Delissa Handoko

Stuffed with steaming falafel and tantalizing hummus spread topped off with crunchy lettuce and tomatoes, Mamoun’s falafel and hummus sandwich is the perfect snack to munch on while cramming for finals in Bobst – that is, if you don’t devour the sandwich before you reach the door.

Quick Bites in Greenwich Village

Photo by Delissa Handoko

Tip: Studying at Alumni Hall or Cooper library? Don’t fret, another Mamoun’s is located right on St. Mark’s Place!
cheap
Address: 119 MacDougal St (between 3rd and Bleecker)
Hours of Operation: Mon-Sun 11am-5am

3. Who says you can’t have dessert for lunch?

This bar moonlights as a creperie past midnight, making it a perfect stop for after hours drunk food. Shade has a Crepe To-Go window along Sullivan to help you kill the drunchies, fast.

Quick Bites in Greenwich Village

Photo by Delissa Handoko

The basic crepe comes with three toppings of your choice–including nutella, strawberry and almond–with additional toppings available for extra charge.

Quick Bites in Greenwich Village

Photo by Delissa Handoko

With the wide selection of sweet and savory options, no one’s stopping you from feeling adventurous and going crazy with some, or all, of your favorite toppings.

Tip: For our 21+ readers, Shade also offers a wide selection of wines, cocktails and martinis.

cheap
Address: 241 Sullivan St (between 3rd and Bleecker)
Hours of Operation: Mon-Thu 12pm-2am; Fri, Sat 12pm-4am; Sun 3pm-12am

4. Go Go, get your curry fix!

This hole-in-wall Japanese chain, Go! Go! Curry, serves only variations of one item: Japanese curry over rice. The gravy-like dish, sometimes called the soul food of Japan, can be topped with a vast number of toppings including a crunchy chicken or pork katsu, or fried cutlet.

Quick Bites in Greenwich Village

Photo by Delissa Handoko

Quick Bites in Greenwich Village

Photo by Delissa Handoko

Can’t decide which topping to get? For $12.50, the Grand Slam combo of katsu, chicken, shrimp, sausages and egg will get you a taste of every item on the menu. The generous portion of also makes it the perfect choice for those who want to share with a friend.

Quick Bites in Greenwich Village

Photo by Delissa Handoko

Tip: the 5th, 15th and 25th of every month are Go! Go! Days so don’t miss your chance to receive a free topping coupon for your next visit with the purchase of any curry on these days.

cheap
Address: 231 Thompson St (between 3rd and Bleecker)
Hours of Operation: Daily 10:55am-9:55pm