The most incredible perk of studying abroad in Europe was being able to embark on a weekend getaway to a different country. With only one full day to spend in Amsterdam, planning was essential in order to acquaint ourselves with Amsterdam’s one-of-a-kind culture. In addition to sightseeing as much as possible, we intended to give our taste buds the full experience as well.

9:00 am: Dutch Pancakes

Sarah Fung

The morning rain that greeted us off the Amsterdam Centraal station couldn’t get our spirits down; we were on our way to The Pancake Bakery. A couple canals later, we stepped downstairs into one of many pancake houses in Amsterdam. A traditional Dutch pancake, or pannekoek, occupies an entire pan-sized plate and is almost as thin as a crepe. In contrast to the fluffy flapjacks back home in the States, these pancakes barely enveloped my bacon and raisin toppings, making every single bite a satisfying collaboration of sweet and salty flavors.

Sarah Fung

Having tasted the proof that Dutch pancakes truly reign supreme, we made the appropriate decision to try even more pancakes. Poffertjes are far tinier, but they have a remarkable spongy character in defense of their miniature form. With a simple topping of butter and sugar, even such defiant morsels don't stand a chance of lasting a couple minutes on your plate.

10:30 am: Fries

Sarah Fung

Damrak is referred to as the “red carpet” leading into Amsterdam, and instead of showcasing Hollywood celebrities, the bustling street hosts several places to shop and eat, including a star-studded Belgian-style fries shop. Mannekinpis sells hand-held cones of thick, crispy fries that come with a choice between 22 different sauces ranging from mayonnaise to curry. A piping hot bite through the crispy shell immediately sinks your teeth into a comforting cushion of potato mash, and it all happens in a beautiful split second.

11:30 am: Vanilla Ice Cream

Sarah Fung

Walking towards the Red Light District, it grew more crowded with tourists, especially in the direction of the Royal Palace of Amsterdam. You might mistake Banketbakkerij van der Linde as another historical site, judging by the size of the crowd, but you’ll find that all the buzz is around a humble cone of vanilla ice cream. The secret is exposed within the first lick: the ice cream is married with a whipped cream, making the treat dually frothy and deeply creamy at the same time. 

1:00 pm: Raw Herring

Sarah Fung

The Bloemenmarkt is the world’s only floating flower market, and it lines a canal with vibrant tulips that come in seed, blossom, and even wooden forms for a nice souvenir. In an odd finale, the line leads you in the direction of Frens Haringhandel, a stand that specializes in an assortment of raw fish. If you’re daring enough, try its famous raw herring with onions and pickles for a nice protein-packed punch. Something seem fishy? Well, good!

2:30 pm: Stroopwafel

Sarah Fung

One does not explore De Pijp, the trendiest neighborhood in Amsterdam, and miss out on De Albert Cuypmarkt. Its most prized attraction is the award-winning Original Stroopwafels Stand, an old school food truck that sells homemade stroopwafel straight off the grill and in pre-made packages. This Dutch specialty features two pieces of thin waffles held together by a warm layer of caramel, so the snack keeps an impressive composure even after you snap off a piece.

#SpoonTip: To warm up pre-made stroopwafel, place it over a cup of hot beverage to melt the caramel.

5:30 pm: Hutspot

Sarah Fung

After spending hours in the Museumplein looking at the many faces of van Gogh and lying on the grass next to open-air sculptures, we went for dinner at The Pantry. This family-run restaurant does traditional Dutch food that makes you feel as if you’re seated at a dinner table right at home with the cozy lamp and art decorations. 

The popular combo dinner consists of a meatball supported by three different types of potato mashes: Hutspot (mixed with stewed beef, carrots, and onions), Boerenkoolstamppot (mixed with kale), and Zuurkoolstamppot (mixed with sauerkraut). Speaking the words from your mouth may be difficult, but putting the food into your mouth isn’t hard at all.

9:00 pm: Apple Pie

Sarah Fung

We spent the remainder of our day browsing around De 9 Straatjes, making our way towards the Jordaan neighborhood. After appreciating the history of the Anne Frank House, we made our last stop at Winkel 43 for the famous apple pie. These apples certainly would have been too soft to hit Isaac Newton with a gravity epiphany. In fact, everything from the lush apples, the buttery, crumbly crust, and fluffy whipped cream topping seem to defy physics. Yet, you’ll still find that there is some mysterious force constantly pulling your fork into this pie's orbit.

#SpoonTip: Pair a slice of pie with a hot mint tea on the side!

9:00 am: Omelette

Sarah Fung

Before catching our train departing Amsterdam, we made sure to end our journey with a proper breakfast at Omelegg, the first omelettery in the Netherlands. It offers omelette fillings like Billy Goat, Banana Peanutbutter, Dates, Viking Fisherman, and Funky Chicken, none of which conform to any boring standard of breakfast. These characters definitely have more spunk to them than any normal person in the morning, but they’re sure to transfer that energy after you try such bold flavor combinations.

Sarah Fung

From the distinctive wooden clogs to the "coffeeshops" (which are not the same as coffee shops), Amsterdam has a culture without equal. Exploring the city in a day was a huge challenge, but every bit of caramel and crumb contributed its own unique take on the Amsterdam experience. Though it was a short trip, the memories and sensations will still be reminisced upon long after those incredible 24 hours.