Open Kitchen, currently UBC's newest campus food outlet and residence dining hall, has been a general hit with the campus community ever since it opened in fall 2016. This summer, it'll be open for lunch on weekdays, serving up dishes both new and old.

A Sustainable Focus

Open Kitchen's summer menu focuses heavily on sustainable, vegetarian options. Both the Vegetarian Kitchen and the Grill stations offer fresh, plant-based options which are prepared for you as you wait.

The Vegetarian Kitchen station is serving up grilled paneer (paneer cheese, grilled naan, kachumber salad (a traditional Indian salad with tomato, cucumber, onion), garlic and herb raita), pictured above, shaved vegetable salad (vegetable medley, salad greens, goat cheese, edible flowers), pictured below, and zucchini noodle pasta (shaved zucchini, no-nut pesto, onion, spinach, tofu).

The Grill station is offering new salad options, including a spicy Thai noodle salad (vermicelli, mango & pineapple salsa, cashews, salad greens, with optional grilled chicken), and the West Coast niçoise (salmon, green beans, cherry tomatoes, nugget potatoes, hard-boiled egg, salad greens), pictured below.

Need Some Comfort Food?

If you're just looking for some standard, no-frills food, the Grill is still serving up chicken strips, beef burgers, cheeseburgers, and fries in both potato and yam form. But hey, live a little, ok?

For all the details, check out the full menu online. Open Kitchen is located at the Orchard Commons student residence and is open 11 am to 2 pm on weekdays all summer long. Whether you're living on campus, just visiting, or taking a summer course, be sure to stop by for a healthy, filling lunch.