"Another smoothie place on main?!" is what every UD student most likely thought when they heard about Newark Nutrition opening up. There has been much uproar and controversy about Newark Nutrition, but hey, you can't discredit something without trying it yourself! It's hard to find your voice when it comes to food establishments, especially companies that revolve around nutrition as our society is more aware and educated about the nutritional values of foods. Everyone seems to have an opinion in this generation about the benefits and consequences of certain foods. Many students don't really understand the entire concept of Newark Nutrition.

Talk of the Town

Newark Nutrition has become very well-liked, especially for the female students after we returned from our long and hated two month winter break. As spring break approached, girls have been looking to lose weight, FAST. The easiest way to a speedy weight loss is apparently Newark Nutrition, according to some students. It's like a detox. You start with a tea then end with a shake of basically any flavor. Let me tell you, there are many flavors you wouldn't have even knew existed such as peanut butter oatmeal cookie and chocolate birthday cake! There is even a skittles flavored tea and donut shots at this place. I know it sounds crazy, but the word is it works if you are strict with it! 

Melissa Pollack
Melissa Pollack

The store itself is very aesthetically pleasing with the cute decorations they put on their walls for their customers to enjoy while they wait for their shakes and teas!

Melissa Pollack

Shannon, one of the founders of this food establishment, has been working at their other establishment located in Wilmington, DE for seven years. Their other location, on East Main Street, replaced Mainstream Nutrition. She explained the notion behind their shakes, teas, and how they are supposed to create weight loss. She said, "our shakes are all plant-based. We have over 40 different flavors to choose from."

"The base of our smoothies is 145 calories, 17 grams of protein, and 21 vitamins. Then we add things like fruit, powdered peanut butter, and sugar free puddings made with stevia, just to get the different flavors. The tea is a green tea which boosts metabolism, gives you energy for your day, and is the same amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee." Additionally, she also explained that depending on the individual's goals, this combination of shake and tea replaces breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. 

Mixed Reviews

Despite all this hype about Newark Nutrition, there is a lot of controversy behind it. Blue hens of every age who have explored the new option had a lot to say. 

Sophomore Rachel Espisito derives great pleasure from Newark Nutrition. She has already been more than eight times. She said, "As a busy student who is always on the go, it can be difficult to find healthy options for meals that are both convenient and reasonably priced. Newark Nutrition is a great addition to the many food establishments on Main Street and it has definitely met any expectations I held for it. With dozens of shake, tea, and coffee flavors available daily, the options are endless. The shakes are a great meal substitute and are beneficial for those who lead active and hectic lifestyles. I’m hoping Newark Nutrition continues to be successful here at UD and expands it’s menu options for the future.

Melissa Pollack

Regardless of Rachel's experience at Newark Nutrition, Sophomore Victoria Sedgh had a different encounter. She said, "I heard a lot of buzz around Newark Nutrition and their shakes, so I decided to give them a try. Through social media and ads, they presented themselves as a healthy way to lose weight while having a good alternative to a full meal. When I tried my shake I was immediately turned off by the taste because it was loaded with whey protein, which actually made me a little nauseous. I did not realize until I tried the shake that their magic ingredient to lose weight was laxatives - which is not healthy at all and completely ruined my stomach for the day. I was not happy with the service or their product and definitely do not recommend."

These mixed thoughts say a lot about what exactly it means to be healthy and how important it is to listen to your body. We cannot confirm whether Newark Nutrition is a saving grace or just another potential option, but it is definitely an interesting addition to Main Street

Find Out For Yourself 

On 163 East Main Street, you can get yourself a tea and shake from 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM Monday through Friday and on Saturday's from 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM. Check it out ASAP! 

Melissa Pollack