One of the great gifts bestowed upon the world by Montreal is its bagels. These bagels exceed any regular run-of-the-mill doughy sphere in that each and every one is both handmade and baked to perfection in a wood-fire oven. Montreal bagels are churned out daily by sweaty men in plain sight of the endless streams of patrons lining up to get their fill of the golden rings.  At night they are also shipped to all corners of Montreal, earning a rightful spot every grocer.

But as with all magical fairytales of foodie lore, this one is not without a feud. An enduring and epic battle wages between two warring and respected bagel establishments: Fairmont Bagels and St Viateur Bagels. With a trusty gang of true bagel connoisseurs in tow (read: students), these bagel producers were put to the ultimate test.  Sesame bagels were bravely tasted and tested, producing the exclusive results published below.

Fairmount

bagel

Photo by Nikhil Tangirala

Store Layout: A small and crowded store jammed sky high with crates of bagels waiting for shipment.  Consequently, customers go in to buy their bagels, then immediately gotta split. Bagels are constantly rolled, spun, and thrown into the oven before your eyes, providing in-line entertainment.  Bagels on bagels.

bagel

Photo by Nikhil Tangirala

Bagel: Fresh out of the oven — dense and chewy.  Slightly smaller, slightly sweet.  Covered in crunchy sesame seeds.

bagel

Photo by Nikhil Tangirala

Price: $0.90/bagel
Fun Fact: The first bagel in space.
History: Opened in 1919 by immigrant Isadore Shlafman.
Note: Cash only, no ATM.
Consensus: Denser and sweeter bagels but expect a longer line and smaller venue.

cheap

Address: 74 Avenue Fairmont Ouest, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hours of Operation: Open 24/7

St-Viateur

bagel

Photo by Nikhil Tangirala

Store Layout: Spacious.  A standing area is provided for in-store munching, complete with a wall of pictures and articles of the famed St Viateur bagel throughout the ages. Bagels with a view.

bagel

Photo by Nikhil Tangirala

Bagel: Fresh out of the oven — crispy crust and a soft middle.  Larger bagel, less sweet, more fluffy.  Sprinkled with crunchy sesame seeds.

bagel

Photo by Nikhil Tangirala

Price: $0.75/bagel
Fun Fact: Celine Dion, Justin Trudeau and Roberto Luongo all love St Viateur bagels.
History: Opened by immigrant Myer Lewkowicz in 1957.
Note: Cash only, ATM in store
Consensus: Bigger, cheaper bagels and a larger venue.

cheap

Address: 263 Rue Saint Viateur Ouest, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hours of Operation: Open 24/7

Conclusion

The loyalty of this writer lies with Fairmount Bagels, as I am a sucker for the dense and sweet dough. As with most feuds however, a superior winner can’t easily be discerned.  Embark on your own quest to try them both, and rewrite your own happy ending to this foodie fairytale.

Hungry for more bagel bites?