Life at Duke is fast-paced. We jump from classes to club meetings to dinners with friends to practices to parties with little time to process. Our brains are constantly struggling to stay on top of our crazy schedules. Did I turn in my stats assignment? Is Kira’s party tonight or tomorrow? Do I have time to go to Vondy between my job interview and dance rehearsal? Sometimes, it feels like that’s all there is—the hectic, though exciting, bubble that is Duke’s campus. However, I am here to show you a place outside of this wildness. It is a place where no one is yelling for their friend, running to a late class, or asking what your plans are for the weekend. It is quiet and serene, just removed enough for a break from campus life. This place is Maple View Farm.

Avery Indermaur

A Little Background

Tucked away in the backwoods of Hillsborough, NC, Maple View Farm is a 400-acre expanse complete with rolling hills, roaming cows, and a resting sense of tranquility. It currently supports 300 animals, 130 of them milking cows. The shop is decked out with antiques from the early dairy industry and takes visitors back to a simpler time. Its large, open porch is an ideal place to relax, recline, and enjoy the treats and the views. They also are committed to farming sustainably, working to preserve stream and soil health and producing milk and cream that are completely hormone and antibiotic free. 

Avery Indermaur

Maple View Farm got its start when Robert Nutter moved his farming operations from Maine to North Carolina following the state’s better milk market and farming climate. He began the business here as a milking operation, expanding it with an on-site bottling plant built in 1996. The company, now called Maple View Farm Milk Company, produces over two million pounds of milk per year and sells it at 50 local stores.

Avery Indermaur

The Main Event

Now we can move on to my favorite part--the ice cream! After the initial success of their milk-bottling operation, Robert Nutter and his daughter, Muffin Nutter Brosig, thought that the community could benefit from hand-crafted, local ice cream as well. They opened the doors on the ice cream shop in 2001 with 12 initial flavors, all made in small batches with as many local ingredients as possible. In addition to the 12 staple flavors offered year-round, others rotate seasonally, ensuring that there will be an exciting new option to try or a classic to fall back on whenever you visit.

#SpoonTip: If you’re not a big ice cream fan (*gasp*), the farm also opened a frozen yogurt line in 2012 with an assortment of rotating flavors! 

Avery Indermaur

Our Investigation

My friend Sam and I took a trip to visit Maple View and dove into the fall specialty selection. After much deliberation, I decided on two flavors: sweet potato, a decadent blend of earthiness and sweetness from the potato backed by warm fall spices and a crunch from chopped pecans, and cashew caramel, possibly the creamiest ice cream I’ve ever tasted with a beautifully balanced blend of sweet, salty, and chewy (from caramel pieces!!). Sam got pumpkin pie, one of their most popular fall flavors, and cookie dough, a deliciously well-executed classic. After making it through the twisting line, we went out onto the porch and settled into two rocking chairs. Our spot looked out over a field full of families—a mother cradling a tiny baby, two dads playing football with their sons, a picnic table so packed with people and laughter it felt bigger than all the others. Also scattered about were cyclists taking a break after a long ride, college students engrossed in a discussion of basketball, and several older couples rocking and chatting like the porch was their home. We were happily among them, swooning over our ice cream, excited by the fall weather, and appreciating every breath of the crisp, fresh air. 

Avery Indermaur

I know a 25-minute drive from campus might seem a bit far for ice cream. But trust me, the commute is worth it. A trip to Maple View Farm is a much-needed break from the campus craze and a reminder to take a step back, breathe, and enjoy.