Since its opening in 2011, The Parlour has established itself as a local icon and a favorite among many Duke students. Serving up scoops of homemade ice cream, luscious milkshakes, and vegan sorbets, The Parlour has something for every palate. With two generous scoops of ice cream, its Beginner size strikes the sweet spot between too little and too much ice cream, while also being easy on the wallet. The only problem is deciding what to order. With a rotating cast of fantastic fall ice cream flavors, narrowing it down to just two is the ultimate challenge. To streamline your ice cream ordering process, I’ve rounded up the best flavor pairings at The Parlour below.

Apple Butter + Salted Butter Caramel

Emily Waples

If you’re ready to welcome fall with open arms, then the Apple Butter and Salted Butter Caramel combination needs to be your go-to. This pairing mimics the taste of a quintessential fall food: caramel apples. One of the Parlour’s most popular flavors, the richness of the Salted Butter Caramel perfectly complements the soft sweetness of the Apple Butter, which is made from a delectable blend of  North Carolina grown apples and autumn spices. 

Vietnamese Coffee + Pumpkin Cheesecake

Emily Waples

At my house, every Thanksgiving meal is followed up by a generous slice of homemade pumpkin pie and a warm cup of coffee. To capture that cozy mood, I recommend pairing the Pumpkin Cheesecake ice cream with as scoop of Vietnamese Coffee. Chunks of graham cracker crust add an appealing pop of texture to the Pumpkin Cheesecake, countering the rich smoothness of the Vietnamese Coffee. Brewed with beans from Bean Traders (a Durham staple) the coffee also adds a nice counter to the sweetness of the cheesecake. Topped off with a dollop of whipped cream, this is one flavor pairing at the Parlour that can’t be beat. 

Honey Chai + Pumpkin Spice Latte

Have you ever wished that your favorite drink could be in ice cream form? The Parlour makes that dream totally possible. End the tea or coffee debate by opting for a scoop of each Honey Chai and Pumpkin Spice Latte. Cap the whole combination off by sipping on a steaming cup of Lavender Ganache Hot Chocolate. These are a few “drinks” you won’t regret downing. 

Rum + Chocolate

To accommodate all diets, the Parlour sells a variety of vegan ice cream flavors. Create a vegan-friendly treat by ordering a scoop of rum and a scoop of chocolate. The creamy coconut base of the vegan chocolate is the ideal accompaniment, highlighting its notes of vanilla and warming spices. If you’re craving a tropical escape, rum and chocolate is the move.  

Pistachio Crunch + Moroccan Rose 

When the pressure of midterm after midterm starts to wear you down, seek solace in this breezy combination. Let the exotic flavors of pomegranate molasses, crystalized ginger, roasted pistachios, and cardamom transport you away from the chill of North Carolina to the warm waters of the Mediterranean. The flavorful marriage of the soft floral highlights of the Moroccan Rose and the salty crunch of the Pistachio will demand your attention, causing any school anxiety to fade into the background as you relish in the deliciousness (speaking from personal experience!).

With this arsenal of dangerously delicious flavor combinations, there is no excuse not to grab a few friends and head to The Parlour to try out the best flavor pairings for yourself!