Growing up on the East Coast I've had my fair share of seafood. While I'm loyal to my baked haddock and fried clam strips, I've always wanted to try seafood from the West Coast. With Manoa Poke Shop in Somerville, Massachusetts my wish was finally granted. 

Manoa Poke Shop opened just over four months ago and it advertises itself as one of the first spots in Boston to offer authentic Hawaiian fare, with a focus on poke bowls. While poke bowls are one of the trendiest foods at the moment, they have a rich history in Hawaiian culture. Manoa Poke Shop is definitely honoring that.

The Mastermind

Chef Armando Leonardi, originally from Guam, was motivated to focus on poke when he saw that poke bowls were becoming increasingly popular, but "everyone was doing it wrong," he said with a laugh.

Leonardi, a professionally trained chef, originally thought of Pacific Island cuisine as everyday food that he made for friends and family. It wasn't until he connected with founders Josiah Bonsey, James Acer, and Sam Bonsey when he saw the potential of bringing Pacific Island cuisine to the East Coast.

Combining his professional skills with his knowledge from growing up in Guam, Leonardi crafts mouthwatering homages to Pacific classics, such as Mac Salad and Kalua Pig alongside their poke bowls.

Everything in their shop is made in house, from the seaweed salad to the chili rub. Leonardi believes this extra care is the key to bringing out the nuances of the Pacific Island flavors.

Manoa Poke Shop isn't just concentrated on the authenticity of their dishes, however. Focusing on sustainability, Leonardi explained that whatever they can't get directly from the islands they get local. As stated on their website, "we celebrate the places and people that sustain us and serve our community with a spirit of Aloha."

The food from Manoa Poke Shop isn't be the only thing that makes you feel like you're on a Hawaiian vacation. As soon as you walk into the shop, the atmosphere also feels like an homage to the Pacific Islands. 

The side table holding forks and condiments is actually made out of one of the founder's old surfboards that is "no longer seaworthy." A massive colorful mural of flowers and pineapples made by artist Connie Fu covers a wall, adding a laid back and fun ambience to the small shop.

Everyone working in the shop were very welcoming and loved talking about the food their food. It's obvious that Manoa Poke Shop cares about the food they make. They are passionate about making sure their customers are getting top quality food alongside a fun atmosphere. 

The Food

The poke ordering process itself is like any other fast casual establishment. You go through a line and pick a base, fish, and toppings.

Each fish option has a great fresh flavor, enhanced by their delicious marinades.

A highlight was the Salmon Shoyu, marinated in a sesame-soy marinade with pickled onion and macadamia nut. Another favorite was the Kelaguen, made with Sea Bream from New Jersey marinated in a coconut milk, citrus, and Thai chili marinade.

Leonardi also gave us a sample of their special, Harimasa with a sweet and spicy chili shoyu marinade. It had a spice that really brought out the flavor of the fish, which they used to replicate a traditional Kampachi.

If you're vegan or vegetarian, Manoa Poke Shop also offers a vegan "Soy Boy" option. It has braised teriyaki tofu, edamame, and avocado.  

The Poke Bowl

vegetable, salad
Alexa Cambi

After sampling all of their fish options, I decided on the Salmon Shoyu and the Kelaguen for my poke bowl, put on top of a kale and quinoa base. 

I added edamame, and Mac Salad for my sides and topped it off with wonton crisps, macadamia nuts, and addictive spicy chili-rubbed chickpeas. The sides and toppings paired great with the kale and quinoa. The end result was an amazingly tasty bowl that made me want to book a plane ticket to Hawaii ASAP. 

The flavors meshed incredibly well together, and the variation of textures added another layer to the flavor profile as a whole. 

I paired with my poke bowl with a the two house-made juices that Manoa Poke Shop offers. A mix of POG, made of passionfruit, orange, and guava, and Ginger Hibiscus Punch tasted like liquified summer. It was refreshing, sweet, and bright. If I could have this drink every day I would.

I also sampled the Chili Rice Bowl, Fried Chicken, and Pineapple Cake, all of which were heavenly.

Inspired by Zippy's, "Hawaii's Restaurant of Choice," Manoa Poke Shop's Chili Rice Bowl is made with ground beef, Portuguese sausage, and secret spices, which makes for a spicy and filling option for "land lovers."

Alongside the Chili Rice Bowl is the Fried Chicken. Mochiko-battered thighs are served with Spiced Honey, a side of Papaya Salad and a choice of base. This chicken really delivered. I only had a bite but it may be the best fried chicken I've ever had. It was crunchy, flavorful, and not overly greasy. I'm already planning to go back for more. 

I finished my trip at Manoa Poke Shop with Pineapple Cake, which was sweet, moist, and had a great fruity taste. The dense cake combined with the light fruit flavor perfectly rounded out my time at Manoa Poke Shop.  

It was an overall enlightening experience. Learning about a new culture through food is a cool way to discover. I can't wait to go back to see what other foods the Pacific Islands have been hiding from us.