Love Art Sushi, a reimagined “fast food” restaurant in Storrs Center, is worth the hype. With over a dozen of house-made sushi bowls, makirittos (think: sushi burrito or check out this Spoon article.), and bubble teas, it’s a hungry, health-conscious college student’s paradise. It also doesn’t look too bad on Instagram, either.

Leah Sheltry

Started by University of Connecticut alumni, Love Art Sushi has storefronts in Storrs Center as well as Boston and is hoping to expand in 2018. Love Art Sushi, sometimes abbreviated to LAS by their most loyal customers, is known for their good deals. On the day my friend and I went, the restaurant was giving away free makirittos and bubble teas to a lucky few that followed, commented, or tagged the eatery on social media. Even without Free Sushi Friday, Love Art Sushi is well-priced, considering the quality of the ingredients and labor put in.

Walking in, there was a considerably long line (those free bubble teas weren’t going to order themselves!) but it was to be expected, and the workers moved it along. I wish there were hardcopies of the menu, maybe near the door or the cash register, in addition to the laminated menus clipped to the glass.

I ordered the Crispy Indulgence bowl — warm, white rice topped with stoplight peppers, shrimp tempura, fried chicken bites, spicy tuna, and wonton strips. I opted for a preset bowl for ease of ordering, but most people chose to create their own sushi bowl. A customer first chooses a base, either sushi rice, brown rice, or no rice and then chooses any combination of toppings. Anything at Love Art Sushi goes — ginger, corn, greens, avocado, raw tuna, spicy mayo, among others.

Despite the crowd, I really got a sense that the workers behind the glass genuinely wanted to make my sushi bowl. No matter how many unfinished bowls were lining up, they never once forgot to add creamy garlic sauce or swap seaweed salad for avocado. My friend ordered their Storrs Special bowl, topped with edamame, scallions, tuna, and salmon.

Leah Sheltry

While I wish I ordered something fresher with raw fish like her, instead of fried on fried on fried, my sushi bowl was equal parts spicy from the tuna and mayo, crunchy from the peppers and wontons, and filling from the white rice and two proteins. My friend and I got a lot of food for a little price, but Love Art Sushi’s best bargain comes at lunchtime — a small, make-your-own sushi bowl, three pork dumplings or tofu bites, and bottomless tea for $6.82.

I’m already planning my next visit.