The Sushi Burrito craze can’t be missed. And with tons of new recipes, restaurants and foodstagrams it’s clear that this craze isn’t going away any time soon. Buredo is a DC based sushi burrito restaurant with two locations: the original is near McPherson Square and their newest location is near Dupont Circle.

While I had heard that the sushi burrito would change my life, I never had the chance to try it. Until a couple of weeks ago, that is. The Dupont location opened and all my Sushi Burrito dreams came true.

Sushi burrito

Photo by Kara Schiaparelli

I tried to come on opening day of the new store (to score a free burrito), but it was not meant to be. The line was way too long for my lunch break. But a week later, my friend and I got in.

The interior of Buredo is quite small, with one long table in the middle, a small bar top by the windows and the sushi burrito making in the back. There is also art that is featured from local artists.

Sushi burrito

Photo by Kara Schiaparelli

After much hemming and hawing, I decided to get the Sofie burrito (shrimp tempura, avocado, pickled cabbage, carrot, toasted sesame seeds, red tobiko and sriracha mayo).

I loved the Sofie. It was crunchy from the tempura, fresh from the carrots and avocado and a little spicy from the sriracha mayo. While I want to try the other burritos, this one is going to be tough to top.

Sushi burrito

Photo by Kara Schiaparelli

Final verdict? Amazing. I can see why people are so obsessed with them. This former sushi burrito virgin is now a true believer.