Growing up in New York, I loved visiting Levain Bakery to pick up a warm, gooey chocolate chip walnut cookie. When I came to Boston for college, the only way I could get Levain's cookies were through national shipping on their website or in the freezer section of Whole Foods. Luckily for Bostonians, Levain Bakery is now located on Newbury Street, and waiting for you to try their iconic cookies!

The Story

In 1995, owners Pam Weekes and Connie McDonald opened the first Levain Bakery in the Upper West Side of New York City. According to their website, competitive swimmers and triathletes originally developed the recipe for their iconic cookie as a source of energy while training. With their shared passion and love for their cookies, they debuted their chocolate chip walnut cookie to their bakery, becoming an instant hit with customers. Almost 30 years later, Levain Bakery has expanded their business with 10 locations between New York, Boston, Bethesda, and Washington D.C!

The Cookies

Coming in at 6 ounces, each freshly baked Levain cookie is gooey on the inside and crispy on the outside. If you stop by Levain Bakery Boston, there are 6 flavors to choose, including both nut-free and gluten-free options! Read below for a description of each (in order depicted above):

The Classic: Two Chip Chocolate Chip

If you don't love walnuts and want more chocolate chips, this is the cookie for you! With a melty mix of both semi-sweet and dark chocolate chips, you will get a range of flavors in one thick cookie. This cookie is perfect for those who love chocolate, but crave balance with its classic cookie dough.

THE OG: Chocolate Chip Walnut (aka my favorite flavor!)

Being the first cookie at the bakery, this flavor is great for someone who is trying Levain for the first time! With a combination of both chocolate and nuts, you get a mix of textures in one gooey cookie. (This flavor also comes in a gluten-free option!)

Chocolate Lovers: Dark Chocolate Chocolate Chip

Enjoy all things chocolate? This cookie is ideal for you! With a chocolate cookie dough and dark chocolate chips mixed in, you will not regret trying this flavor. Indulge in this dense, rich cookie!

PB Obsessed: Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip

Love the iconic duo of chocolate and peanut butter? This cookie will satisfy your craving! With a salty and sweet taste, the peanut butter chips bring out the flavor of the semi-sweet chocolate cookie dough. Perfect for those who are sensitive to sweetness! 

Not a fan of chocolate?: Oatmeal Raisin

Not the biggest fan of chocolate? Levain has got you covered with this cookie. The taste of sweet raisins and golden brown butter make you feel warm inside! 

Other Menu Items

Allison Wong

Although they are known for their huge cookies, Levain Bakery originally opened as a bread shop, still selling a variety of breads today. You can also indulge in other pastries such as their chocolate chip brioche, and Boston exclusive oatmeal cranberry scone. In addition, Levain Bakery has a large drink menu to accompany their assortment of loaf cakes, breads, and pastries. Grab a cup of coffee or Valrhona hot chocolate on your way out!

Visit Levain Bakery

I was able to visit Levain during their soft opening, and I could not have had a better experience! The Boston team is so kind and work extremely hard to give you fresh cookies daily from 8am to 8pm. If you have not been to the new location on Newbury Street, watch the TikTok I made to take a look inside!

Note: You can now also order Levain's treats on DoorDash and Caviar if you can't make it to the bakery!