KFC is known for, well, its fried chicken. And while the fast-food chain has its world-famous fried chicken recipe down to a science, the chain has been experimenting with new, plant-based Beyond Meat Fried Chicken that will now be available at participating locations nationwide beginning Monday, Jan. 10.

Courtesy of KFC.

KFC was the first national fast food restaurant in the U.S. to introduce plant-based chicken three years ago as part of a limited-run test in Atlanta, where it sold out in just a few hours. After an overwhelmingly successful launch, Kentucky Fried Chicken and Beyond Meat expanded the test to select restaurants in Nashville, Charlotte, and Southern California.

“The mission from day one was simple — make the world-famous Kentucky Fried Chicken from plants,” said Kevin Hochman, the president of KFC U.S. “And now over two years later we can say, ‘mission accomplished.’”

The plant-based Beyond Fried Chicken was developed by Beyond Meat® exclusively for KFC. The goal is for the Beyond Fried Chicken to still have the familiar taste and texture of traditional chicken without any animal-based products. It’s packed with delicious flavor and the juicy satisfaction that you’d expect from KFC’s iconic fried chicken, but in a plant-based option that’s still finger-lickin’ good.

“We couldn’t be prouder to partner with KFC to offer a best-in-class product that not only delivers the delicious experience consumers expect from this iconic chain, but also provides the added benefits of plant-based meat,” said Ethan Brown, Founder and CEO of Beyond Meat. “We are truly thrilled to make it available to consumers nationwide.”

It’s important to note that KFC’s Beyond Fried Chicken products are cooked in the same fryer as the chain's other meat products, so there is still a chance for cross-contamination. While this may not be in line with some vegan or vegetarian diets, the Beyond Fried Chicken is a great option for those experimenting with plant-based eating or a “flexitarian” lifestyle in the new year.

Beyond Fried Chicken is available as KFC’s first ever plant-based combo meal with the chain’s Secret Recipe Fries and a medium drink, or à la carte in six or 12-piece orders, and served with a choice of your favorite KFC dipping sauce – Honey BBQ, Ranch, Honey Mustard or KFC Sauce. You can get your hands on KFC’s Beyond Fried Chicken starting at $6.99, tax extra.