Every year, the Princeton Art Museum kicks off the academic calendar with the Nassau Street Sampler. The event features food favorites from the town of Princeton, as well as exposure to the University's vast art collection. It all started eight years ago with museum director James Steward, who wanted to introduce the Museum to students in a fun and engaging way.

Local businesses in Princeton were invited to set up vendor booths at the museum so that the community and students could enjoy tasty samples together. It's one of the Museum's most exciting celebrations of the year, and the most well attended.

Here are just a few of the reasons you should stop by the Art Museum this Thursday: 

1. The Food

Whether you prefer sweet or savory, you'll be able to find something to suit your taste buds. From freshman who have yet to explore the Princeton community, to seasoned seniors who've wandered down Nassau Street time and time again, there's always an opportunity to try something new. Like a walk out of FitzRandolph Gate, you'll encounter samples from these locations:

Jammin' Crepes,

Hoagie Haven,

Thomas Sweet,

and Tiger Noodles.

Or, take a stroll down Witherspoon Street and sample foods from:

Olive's,

The Bent Spoon,

and Mistral.

Other vendors include Arlee's Raw Blends, Fruity Yogurt, Small World Coffee, and Yankee Doodle Tap Room

2. The Art

This year's Sampler celebrates the new exhibition "Great British Drawings from the Ashmolean Museum," a showcase of fine British drawings and watercolors from the the University of Oxford. Over 100 works, from the oldest university museum in the world, are on display.

While you're there, you can also check out the Modern and Contemporary Art wing that houses works from famous artists such as Monet and Picasso, or browse the downstairs exhibits with art from the ancient Americas, Africa, and Asia. 

The Museum houses constantly rotating special exhibitions, and offers free admission. Throughout the year, the Museum holds more special events like the annual Winter Gala and a Valentine's day celebration. As academic and extracurricular schedules become more hectic, a visit to the Princeton Art Museum offers a calming environment to stroll through alone or tour with friends.

3. The Performances

Unlike large auditoriums, performances in the main gallery of the Art Museum provide a cozy atmosphere and a closer interaction with student groups. Every year, a capella, dance, poetry, and other performing arts organizations fill the space with a lively buzz.

4. The Community

The sampler isn't open to just Princeton students; anyone from the Princeton community is invited to enjoy the night of food, art, and performances. From small children to elderly grandparents, the crowd will be full of new faces. It's also a great opportunity to meet your classmates and bond over shared interests.

These are just a few of the reasons you should stop by the Princeton Art Museum for the Nassau Street Sampler this Thursday from 5-8 PM, where you'll be able to find a buzzing crowd to kick-off the new school year. Come hungry, leave with satisfaction after sampling foods and meeting new people.