So it’s the first month of college in a new city (the best city), and you have no idea where to satisfy that late night craving. Or maybe it’s a sunny Saturday, aka every Saturday in SD, and you’re looking for something cold and sweet. Whatever it is, I’m here to give you USD freshmen, or really any San Diegans, advice on where to find the best desserts in San Diego. From ice cream cookie sandwiches, to gelato, to donuts, to cookies, and any other extraordinary desserts, we really have it all.

The Baked Bear

San Diego

Photo courtesy of @thebakedbear on Instagram

When I first started at USD, I quickly found out about The Baked Bear and took every opportunity to go there. Luckily, USD caters from Baked Bear quite often, so this task wasn’t too difficult. They specialize in ice cream cookie sandwiches, but you can also mix and match with brownies or donuts.

San Diego

Straying from your typical cookie sandwich, The Baked Bear does double scoops with a layer of brownie in the middle. They also have numerous toppings if you’re looking to add even more sweetness to the mixture.

San Diego

If the endless options overwhelm you, you can also stick to just classic scoops of ice cream. What is not classic though is the gorgeous Mission Beach view that you can see only a few steps from The Baked Bear. What’s better than ice cream on the beach?

San Diego

Photo by Megan Clarkson

I usually stick to the classic ice cream cookie sandwich, with a funfetti cookie on one side, cookies n cream cookie on the other, and peanut butter ice cream in the middle.

#SpoonTip: They warm up the cookies for you if you ask… I would definitely ask.

The Cravory

San Diego

Photo courtesy of @thecravory on Instagram

I’ve had some pretty amazing cookies in my time, but I was blown away when I had a cookie at The Cravory. Located in Point Loma, they’re a quick drive from school, especially if you’re on a “Target run.” They also make appearances at San Diego farmer’s markets.

San Diego

The Cravory has the some of the most unique cookies I’ve ever seen, such as s’mores, pancake and bacon, lemon bar, birthday cake, salted caramel, chocolate caramel, banana bread, guava, strawberries n’ honey, and red velvet… to name a few…

San Diego

Photo by Megan Clarkson

#SpoonTip: Sign up for their rewards program. They text you about once a month with coupons for free cookies, and you get a free cookie on your birthday.

Donut Bar

San Diego

Photo by Megan Clarkson

If you find yourself in San Diego’s downtown, or wanting to go on a quick adventure, the donuts at Donut Bar are some of the best donuts you’ll ever have. If you don’t believe me, they’ve won several awards and been on talk shows, like Ellen, to prove it. They have flavors to fill whatever craving you’re having, and if you’re like me, you’ll take a box home for later.

San Diego

Photo by Megan Clarkson

My favorite flavor is the Maple Bacon donut, which has real candied bacon on top. This donut with whipped cream and strawberries was also a beautiful combination. Other flavors include Nutella, Pop Tart, salted caramel, cinnamon roll, and red velvet.

San Diego

Photo by Megan Clarkson

They also just started making donut churro ice cream cones. I haven’t tried one, but I’m guessing that the long Donut Bar line is definitely worth it.

#SpoonTip: Get there early because they close once they run out of donuts!

Bobboi Natural Gelato

San Diego

Photo courtesy of @bobboi_naturalgelato on Instagram

If you’re looking to explore the beautiful La Jolla area, or if you’ve just come back from study abroad in Florence and are having gelato withdrawals, Bobboi is the place for you. This San Diego gelato is legit, and very comparable to Italian gelato. My favorite flavor there is blood orange in a waffle cone.

San Diego

Their creative gelato flavors range from fruity, to chocolatey, to dairy free.

Extraordinary Desserts

San Diego

Photo courtesy of @extraordinary_desserts on Instagram

If your parents are in town, this is the perfect place to take them after dinner. The desserts are, to say the least, extraordinary. They not only taste good, but they look beautiful.

San Diego

They’re much more than your typical dessert, ranging from strawberry shortcake, fruit tarts, cobblers, mousses and everything in between.