When you think of Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, you likely think of the pristine beaches, crazy nightlife, and touristy attractions. However, 45 minutes away from the hub of Cabo tourism lies San José del Cabo and one of the areas hidden gems: Flora Farms.

Wind down the pot-hole filled dirt road for a few miles and you'll eventually run into the welcoming signs leading to Flora's. Within moments of entering, you will soon understand the magic in this place. 

coffee
Alex Frank

Although the atmosphere of twinkling lights, family-friendly vibes, and mason jar drinks is surely enticing, there's something else really special about this place: almost all of the food is sourced straight from the grounds you're walking on. The restaurant sits on 10 acres of organic farming lands, which owners, Patrick and Gloria Greene, have been maintaining for over 17 years. 

pasture, grass
Alex Frank

Although it's nearly impossible to walk in for dinner without a reservation (some travelers make reservations months in advance), breakfast and lunch walk-ins are welcomed. Come early for a tour of the farm or a cooking class paired with lunch (I learned how to make salsa and guacamole with ingredients picked that day — yum).

beer, coffee, wine
Alex Frank

Breakfast menus include farm fresh eggs, fresh-pressed juices, homemade honeys and jams, and farm-raised pork sausage (from pigs raised just down the road at Flora's ranch). There's something comforting about knowing all of the food on your plate came from less than a five mile radius of where you're sitting — and it doesn't hurt that it's to-die-for delicious. 

Alex Frank

In addition to their seasonal menu, Flora Farms has its own small grocery store selling fresh produce, beautiful flowers, and homemade goodies, such as granola, breads, pastries, jams, and much more. 

beer, cheese
Alex Frank

This family-friendly gem sits on a large plot of land including farm homes available for sale and rent, playgrounds for antsy children to let off some steam, and plenty of empty space for guests to take in the beauty of the land surrounding. Sitting under the twinkling lights, it can be easy to forget you are sitting in the middle of raw nature (but don't worry, Flora's even thought to provide bug spray).

beer, alcohol, water
Alex Frank

Flora Farms is an organic oasis tucked amongst a Mexican desert that everyone must experience when in Cabo. From the simple yet elegant atmosphere to the magnificent cocktails and food, you are sure to fall in love with this magical place. So next time you find yourself stuck in the Cabo-wabo tourist hub, take a trip down that dirt road and find a different, truly organic, paradise. 

grass, cake
Alex Frank