The typical Berkeley student is in the library on weekdays, intoxicated Friday nights, and in bed until noon the next day. That’s why when I heard Downtown Berkeley’s Eureka! was introducing a weekend 10AM-2PM brunch menu (aka the convenient time and place for a hungover me) I was overjoyed. Known as THE place for craft drinks and gourmet burgers, I looked forward seeing how the $5 Bloody Marys/Mimosas and mouthwatering brunch menu would compare.

Day-Drinking

Lea Alcantara
Lea Alcantara

If you’re ready for round 2, Eureka! has a fantastic selection of mimosas to pair with your brunch. For the indecisive or adventurous, the four mimosa flight features the classic orange flavor as well as pineapple, grapefruit, and ginger-lime. Not only is this an Insta-worthy opportunity, but it is also a great opportunity to get tipsy on a Sunday morning.

However, if you’re looking for a non-alcoholic beverage, the ginger-lime and turmeric nectar mocktails feature both health benefits and refreshing flavors that will balance out any negative effects of Saturday night’s bad decisions.

Funky Fries and Brazy Brussels Sprouts

Lea Alcantara
Lea Alcantara

One of the best aspects of brunch is that eating french fries for breakfast becomes perfectly acceptable. We started our meal with truffle cheese fries blanketed in a layer of parmesan cheese and—for the cheese-lovers—a side of white truffle (yes, truffle) cheese sauce that I could not resist drowning my fries in despite my lactose intolerance. Pairing perfectly alongside the rich truffle fries, the crispy glazed brussels sprouts provided a balance of sweet orange chile glaze, spice from the chimichurri, and the perfect vegetable flavor vehicle that did not make me feel bad for the fries I “shared.”

Brunch But Take it up a Notch

Lea Alcantara

Berkeley is known for innovation and Eureka!’s Berkeley-localized menu is in line with these sentiments. Playing on chicken and waffles, the fried chicken and sweet cornbread is the Southern-inspired, savory-sweet combination of your dreams. 

#SpoonTip: Layer a forkful of the sweet and spicy jalapeño-infused maple glazed chicken, the savory crisp bacon, and the sweet, fluffy cornbread for an explosive flavor and texture combination

Lea Alcantara
Lea Alcantara

If you’re tired of greasy, basic French toast with maple syrup, try the bread pudding french toast. With its crispy exterior, soft, souffle-like interior, droplets of pearl-white crème anglaise, and bright berry flavors, this french toast is springtime in Paris as a meal—the perfect escapism from Berkeley dining hall food.

For those looking for lighter fare, the avocado toast comes out looking like a mosaic of chopped hardboiled eggs, diced tomatoes, splatters of chimichurri sauce, and bright pink pickled onions, allowing me to evenly incorporate all the flavors into each bite. Rather than putting arugula on the avocado toast, the acidity of the side salad of arugula and tomato complemented the toast without making the bread soggy.

Known for its burgers and fries, we had to order the brunch equivalent: a Breakfast Egg Sandwich and spiced potatoes. Although this is a brunch staple, Eureka! heightens its sandwich by using smoked mozzarella, pesto aioli, tomato, and arugula to lighten the flavors in addition to the essential egg and bacon toppings. It is my belief that a sandwich is only as good as its bread, and the atypical, lightly-sweet, fresh-baked buns are the clouds this sandwich needed to elevate it to heaven. Also, the spiced breakfast potatoes? I think that was the moment I realized that becoming an adult means ordering these over tater tots any day.

If you have room

Lea Alcantara

I usually joke that I have a second stomach for dessert, but after eating many courses of food and still indulging in their Bonfire Stout brownie and Bourbon Barrel cake, I am starting to question whether or not this is factual. These decadent desserts are served piping hot and topped with heaping spheres of vanilla bean ice cream that make it that much easier devour spoonfuls of fudgy brownies or sticky, caramel cakes without burning your tongue. After experiencing this decadent dessert, the thought of driving to another Pizookie Tuesday is nonexistent.

Lea Alcantara

Although Eureka! serves the working millennial well with its twinkly lights and happy hours, for college students looking for the brunch experience and ambiance, Eureka! is the place to go. With its large, rustic tables, open windows that let in mid-morning sunlight, and shareable brunch plates, there is no place I would rather enjoy my first—and if you ate as much as I did, only—meal of the day.

#SpoonTip: bring a large group of friends to try EVERYTHING.