Edinburgh's rep as a foodie city is growing, and with good reason. The weekends are a perf time to take a leisurely stroll to get some cheap street food and to restock your kitchen with nosh a bit nicer than Lidl's instant noodles at one of the many markets dotted around Edinburgh.

Sundays at Stockbridge

Stockbridge Market has deffo become my fav go-to place on a sunny Sunday morning. Just a stone’s throw away from bustling George and Princes Street shopping, this farmers' market never fails to impress. Each week various food, textile and art producers set up around 30 stalls selling their products—perf for Christmas prezzies.

Whether you’re there to load up on weekly fruit and veg, sample Taiwanese tea, grab a freshly-baked croissant, or dive into a bowl of veggie paella, you’ll not be disappointed.

International cuisine on offer includes Japanese veg stuffed gyoza, thick Udon-style noodles, and Jamaican ‘roti’ made with veg and goat cheese… the list goes on!

If you're into your nutrition, try out the famous ‘Ynot’ Bakery stand that offers a rad range of vegan and refined-sugar-free sweet treats that no health-freak could refuse.

wine
Jo-Emma Berthet

Saturdays at Grassmarket

Since Edinburgh is now my new home, I felt obliged to go explore the iconic streets in the Grassmarket area.  On my adventures, I came across the famous farmers’ market that’s held weekly on the beautiful stretch of road hidden at the bottom of curving Victoria Street.

The layout is very similar to Stockbridge market, with several yummy food stalls, including French rainbow-coloured macarons and Kenyan-style sweet potato snacks. If you’re a dog lover like myself, you’ll even be able to get your hands on home-made organic dog treats, called “snuffle truffles".

My personal fav is the French bread stand (not that being French makes me biased or anything) where I nabbed 100% rye bread. Not only is rye flour naturally gluten-free but it’s also a great source of fibre and much more easily digestible than wheat. 

wine, beer
Jo-Emma Berthet

Leith Market

Last but not least on the list of top foodie market locations is Leith, held every Saturday. They're loaded with stalls selling some drool-worthy food including some fantastic brownies and fudge, as well as freshly made pizza.

An added bonus is that the first Saturday of every month, a special vegan quarter is set up. Look out for the chickpea and mango curry which makes for a great lunch at just a fiver. 

I hope this article has given you a little more insight into the A+ choice of foodie locations on offer in Edinburgh. If you’re feeling as pumped as I am about the city, look here for plenty more info on the dates and stalls scheduled for each farmers’ market, or navigate your way around other cool food markets in Edinburgh.