With its skylight windows and loft-like design, David Burke Kitchen is perfect for group lunches and romantic dinners. After opening in February 2011, David Burke Kitchen is one of the David Burke Group’s seven restaurants. This branch, located in The James Hotel New York in SoHo, was named one of Forbes 2011 All-Star Eateries with an award of three stars.

The lunch crowd at David Burke Kitchen was primarily businessmen, couples or small groups. While there was no wait even during peak hours, it was reassuring to see that many of the tables were filled.

David Burke Kitchen

Photo by Delissa Handoko

Every meal here starts with a selection of sliced rye bread, breadsticks, cheese and pickled carrots. The cheese complements the bread well– not too sour or soft, and is good enough to eat on its own.

David Burke Kitchen

Photo by Delissa Handoko

The wedge salad, as recommended by the server, is exactly how every appetizer should be. The entire head of lettuce is served with spiced pecans, cranberries, cherry tomatoes and crumbled Maytag blue cheese. With a great combination of sweet and sour, this dish could satisfy even the pickiest of eaters.

David Burke Kitchen

Photo by Delissa Handoko

Another great appetizer is the dumpling duo. The BBQ short rib dumplings are an interesting twist on traditional Asian dumplings. Each is stuffed with braised short rib before being fried and topped with lavender barbecue sauce. The steamed dumplings are drizzled with a creamy sauce that perfectly complements the seafood filling.

David Burke Kitchen

Photo by Delissa Handoko

For entrées, the Kitchen burger with bacon and cheddar is a hit. The presentation of the burger will please burger-lovers who prefer eating their burgers in layers – in a manner as fuss-free as possible. The jalapeño French fries, which came as a side to the burger, are a spicy and addictive take on classic fries.

David Burke Kitchen

Photo by Delissa Handoko

The staff at David Burke Kitchen managed the rare feat of perfectly cooking the salmon at medium temperature, just the way I requested. The salmon was tender with crisp and salty skin that melted in my mouth. Although it appears small, the piece of salmon makes for a hearty meal while leaving enough room for dessert.

David Burke Kitchen

Photo by Delissa Handoko

When it comes to dessert, the dark chocolate malt cake is sure to satisfy any chocolate lover. The slice of layered cake is moist and fluffy, and each bite is sealed off with hot chocolate ganache with caramelized white chocolate ice cream.

David Burke Kitchen

Photo by Delissa Handoko

If you are looking for something less sugar-laden, the Slice O’ Pie Du Jour is a great choice. The flaky piecrust has a seasonal fruit filling and is served with berry sauce and vanilla ice cream.

With summer just around the corner, the outdoor addition to the restaurant, David Burke Garden, opened for the season on May 1st. If you are searching for a place with great food and ambience while getting a tan at the same time, be sure to check out David Burke Kitchen and Garden.

Expensive

Address: 23 Grand St (at 6th Ave)
Hours of Operation: Mon-Wed 7am-10pm; Thu-Fri 7am-11pm; Sat 11am-11pm; Sun 11am-10pm