Coffee shops are a staple of any city, especially college campuses. It’s fun to do work in a lively environment while also being able to get free wifi and a caffeine boost. UF’s campus has a few great coffee shops that fulfill this need, but they’re always crowded and have limited seating. There are only so many times a student can study in the same busy environment.

I'm going to bring you along on my journey to highlight local Gainesville coffee shops that are perfect for whether you want to switch up your coffee order or find a new study environment. Introducing the first coffee shop in the series: Curia on the Drag.

Atmosphere

Bayley Needham

Curia On The Drag is a charming coffee shop less than a 10-minute drive from campus. It has a fun, indie vibe to it with acoustic guitar music filling the room. The coffee shop is full of unique decor that gives the place a homey look. With tasty coffee and non-coffee orders on their menu, there is something for everyone. We ordered a cortado and an iced chai latte, which were both delicious, along with a cream cheese-filled bagel. As we sat and chatted, we took in our surroundings, including many students studying around us. 

Bayley Needham

If there is no available seating in the main room, there is an overflow room that is just as aesthetically pleasing as the coffee shop itself. The overflow seating area has more of an art museum vibe to it with abstract pieces lining the walls and very different textured furniture. It’s quieter than the coffee shop, which is perfect for people who prefer to do work in silence. There were even classic board games to play like Clue and Battleship.

Environment

Bayley Needham

Near Curia On The Drag, there is a plant-based food truck called Curia with food even non-vegans can love. From tacos to meat-free hot dogs, this food truck makes for a great lunch break.

Bayley Needham

Located next to the food truck is the thrift store, The AUK Market. The staff's friendliness makes it easy to browse the aisles and find your next closet staple. In the back of the thrift store is Dad’s Bar, a bar with beer and wine for anyone over 21. Dad’s Bar is quaint and perfect for the younger crowd that loves to drink in a trendy, aesthetically pleasing environment.

Bayley Needham

In the area, there is also a non-profit farm, Brave Harvest, growing vegetables that are donated to food banks and used at the Curia plant-based food truck.

Events

Bayley Needham

Curia On The Drag is also the host of many events. On October 22, Curia On The Drag will be having two drag shows, each with a full vegan breakfast with ticket purchase. On the first Wednesday of every month, The AUK Market is the host of a plant swap. On certain Fridays, The AUK Market is also the host of evening markets where people can thrift at night. The area is full of many fun and inclusive events, with many more to come.

Bayley Needham

Curia On The Drag is a modern and stylish coffee shop that is worth your penny. It’s the perfect area to go when you want to get a bite to eat, have a great place to study, and get a caffeine boost.