This weekend I went to Lam Zhou Handmade Noodle in the heart of New York City's Chinatown, also known as one of the cheapest but most authentic eateries you can find in the area. Lam Zhou is a bit of a hole in the wall that is cash only, but special because the noodles are pulled right in the back.

Getting There:

Getting to Lam Zhou was an experience in of itself. We started on the Upper East Side and took the subway down to Canal Street. From there, it was another 10 minutes of walking.

The Wait

We got to Lam Zhou at around 12:45 pm and it was pretty busy. We waited for about fifteen minutes until we were seated at a table with a few other people. The space is pretty narrow, but we were able to situate ourselves comfortably. We ordered at around 1 pm and our food was delivered five minutes later.

The Meal

chicken, meat, noodle, ravioli, pork, soup, dumpling
Ali Romadanov

#15: Soup noodle with dumpling

pork, chicken, egg
Ali Romadanov

#16 and #18: Vegetable soup noodle with egg and fried dumpling

We ordered #15, #16, and #18. Both soups had a ton of noodles and bok choy, which was good. The broth was pretty plain but more flavorful with the sauces on the table. The soups were both huge, and even though we were pretty hungry, we only ended up finishing about half of them. The dumplings, both fried and steamed, were probably the highlight though.

Pricing

Soup: $5.50 each

Side of fried dumplings: $3/8 pieces

Total: $15

Overall

Both of the soups had an abundance of noodles and bok choy, but the broth was pretty plain. The dumplings were delicious, and overall, the wait was surprisingly long but not concerning. When we were already sitting down and enjoying our food, people were getting in with almost no wait. The majority of the food was pretty plain, but great for the price. I would probably go back to Lam Zhou, but only if I were in the area. Rated #2 on "The Definitive Ranking of the Best Dumplings in NYC's Chinatown", Lam Zhou is definitely worth checking out if you want to try delicious but cheap Chinese food. Just remember, cash only

Spoon Tip: if you come at a busy time and aren't willing to wait, they sell dumplings by the bag upon request.