In New York City and don't feel like having a sit down meal? If so, "hole-in-the-wall" restaurants are your best bet. In technical terms, hole-in-the-walls are eateries that have minimal space for their customers: a literal hole-in-the-wall. The limited amount of space may draw some people away from these types of establishments.

Just because a hole-in-the-wall restaurant may not have an impressive atmosphere doesn't mean that the food isn't prepared well. There are dozens of unique hole-in-the-walls in New York City, but here are just a few to get you started.

Yonekichi

If you're in lower Manhattan looking for a quick but mouthwatering snack, Yonekichi is the place for you. Their famous sushi burgers are made with short grain rice, house-made terayaki sauce, and shishito peppers, and you can't go wrong with getting the Tsukene burger.

Bassanova Ramen

Originating from Tokyo, Bassanova Ramen made the move to New York only a few years ago, and is already a go-to spot for ramen lovers. The restaurant may be hard to spot as there is no street level access, but just looking down will help you in the right direction. Just remember, cash only.

Breakroom

A combination of tacos and burgers is an unexpected combination for any restaurant, that is, with the exception of Breakroom. At this unique "hole-in-the-wall," you can enjoy their signature burger, taco platter, and mint lemonade, all under the same roof.

Decoy

While Decoy is not exactly a "hole-in-the-wall," it surely is a very hidden gem. Located directly under Red Farm, Decoy is famous for their Peking Duck, oxtail dumplings, fried rice, and other outlandish Asian-style bites. Make sure you are able to find the location in time though, because the duck sells out quickly.

Mamoun's Falafel

Mamoun's Falafel is a popular destination for all Middle Eastern food lovers. The line can be large or small depending on the day, but either way the wait is definitely worth it for their famous falafel, hummus, and "kabob."

If you're looking for a unique food experience, I would definitely recommend experimenting with alternatives to sit down restaurants such as hole-in-the-wall establishments. After all, you never know, you may never go back to a regular restaurant.