When you think of fall you probably think of hay rides, apple picking, halloween, sweater weather, oh, and pumpkin spice everything. I think it's pretty safe to say to that Starbucks and their famous pumpkin spice latte are single handedly responsible for this obsession.

Thanks to Starbucks, pumpkin spice Oreos, pumpkin spice Peeps, pumpkin spice coffee creamer, pumpkin spice Jell-O, and pumpkin spice Cheerios now exist. They have certainly created a phenomenon. 

Lovers of the PSL, as its known, wait months for baristas to begin making their beloved drink once again. Customers wait in lines, yes lines, to once again purchase their favorite drink in the beginning of each September when the coffee chain officially releases it. 

With the PSL's seemingly never ending success and popularity the question becomes will another espresso beverage ever be able to compete?

Every year it seems, Starbucks releases another fall-themed drink around the same time it releases the PSL. The salted caramel mocha, pumpkin spice chai tea latte, and toasted graham cracker latte are just a few examples.

Maybe Starbucks wants to offer something to their customers who are just not a fan of pumpkin flavoring? Maybe they are hoping to convert some of their die-hard PSL fans? Whatever the reason may be, it seems that every year one of these other drinks arrives to never be seen again the next fall. The PSL always seems to reign supreme.

mocha, sweet, chocolate, cream, espresso, milk, cappuccino, coffee
Becky Hughes

This year is not any different. Along with the PSL, Starbucks has released the maple pecan latte. Similar to the PSL which features a classically fall flavor in its inclusion of pumpkin, the maple pecan latte has both maple and pecan flavoring. Maple and pecan are classic and beloved fall flavors. Shouldn't this help the maple pecan latte gain popularity? You would think so.

With notes of maple syrup, brown butter and pecan, the maple pecan latte definitely sounds like it has the potential to become a fall classic. Although it has the ability to attract those that normally would not order the PSL either due to a prior commitment to another Starbucks beverage or a hatred of pumpkin flavoring, the real issue will be converting PSL lovers.

No drink has a fan base like the PSL. Other coffee chains with their own pumpkin themed drinks have not even been able to create such a following. I guess time will tell if the maple pecan latte has the ability to compete with the PSL. If not, it seems as though Starbucks will just keep releasing new fall drink to accompany the PSL until they find something that works. 

In the mean time, try the maple pecan latte. If you are a PSL lover use this opportunity to try something different. Hey, you never know if it will become your new favorite. If you are a hater of pumpkin, but a lover of fall this drink is perfect for you. I mean who hates maple?

Visit your local Starbucks and give the maple pecan latte a try. You never know... this could be its first and only appearance.