There is a rising food scene in Birmingham, AL that deserves attention from foodies all over the nation. Thankfully, this up-and-coming food scene offers many spots that are affordable to the average college student. Here is a list of affordable restaurants in Birmingham. 

1. Real and Rosemary 

avocado, salad
Ally Sorrells

This quaint new addition to downtown Homewood serves as a perfect date-night spot. Counter service mixed with a sophisticated, hip ambiance creates the perfect feel for a casual yet romantic date night. R&R offers simple, healthy food with an elevated spin, charging about $10 dollars for each plate. 

2. East 59 Vintage 

avocado, chicken, salad, sandwich
Ally Sorrells

This small cafe offers breakfast, lunch and dinner along side espresso drinks made with Counter Culture Coffee. East 59 Vintage has everything from breakfast sandwiches to wraps and salads. For breakfast, you can get a sandwich for as cheap as $3.95, and lunch items average around $7.50. This is definitely a place to go if your looking for a inexpensive, trendy spot.

3. Taco Mama 

College students rejoice over the name Taco Mama. This is a perfect spot for a cheap and quick dinner with a group of friends. This lively, fun restaurant deems themselves a "taco bar," but offers various other items such as burrito bowls and nachos. And most importantly, no entree on the menu exceeds $10. 

4. Red Pearl Restaurant

chicken, noodle, pasta, pork
Ally Sorrells

This hidden gem is tucked away off Greensprings Highway, attached to a Chinese Market. From the outside the place looks grungy, but do not let this fool you. This restaurant offers large portions for outstanding prices, making it the perfect place for college students to break out of their typical routine without breaking the bank.

I recommend the pork lo mein, which cost a grand total of $7.99. After fueling up, be sure to check out the Chinese Market, where you can find anything from pork intestines to cast iron tea kettles.

5. Bendy's Cookies & Cream

Birmingham's ice cream scene is admittedly weak, but this food truck definitely makes up for it. Bendy's, the love child of husband and wife team Ben and Wendy, is serving up  classic, home-made ice cream sandwiches with a modern twist. You can mix and match any of their flavors to make your ideal ice cream sandwich, with choices such as cinnamon ice cream and white chocolate macadamia nut cookies.

Their sandwiches cost $4.50, but if you want to get something a little bit cheaper just ask for a single scoop of ice cream for &2.50. Either way, you will not be disappointed. Bendy's schedule changes weekly so be sure to give them a follow on Instagram to keep up with their location. 

Birmingham is booming with spots for foodies all over the city. Whether you're looking for a cheap breakfast or classic dessert, there are plenty of affordable restaurants in Birmingham, AL that are worth your while.