Spring has sprung in Washington, D.C., which means the cherry blossoms are in full swing. As a native Washingtonian, there are few things I look forward to more than cherry blossom season. Why? Well, apart from the actual trees themselves, you can find cherry blossom specials galore, including the Bird & Blossom menu from Logan Circle restaurant, The Bird

Madelyn B Bucher

I first heard about The Bird back in November. They're known around these parts as the place that does happy hour specials every time someone is fired from the current office (oh, how D.C.). When I heard about this new, Japanese inspired menu from Executive Chef Ryan Hackney, I had to get in there and try it. So I grabbed my editor, Sarah, and we were on our way.

The Menu

Madelyn B Bucher

The Bird & Blossom menu launched on March 20th with a tasting event at the restaurant. The launch took place in the restaurants' Cherry Blossom room, decorated with painted blossoms, Japanese umbrellas hanging from the ceiling and, if you look really closely around the restaurant, some hidden birds. On the menu, there were 3 different food and drink samplings. 

Madelyn B Bucher

The first dish we got our hands on was the foie gras and black garlic cone (left). I'm just saying, I lived in France for a while and never acquired a taste for foie gras... until Chef Hackney added his creative flair, something he does extremely well. Between Sarah and I, we probably polished off an entire bowl. 

Madelyn B Bucher

Next up was the Uni-Salmon toast with flying fish row. This is not the salmon toast you might think of immediately (my mind always wanders to lox on bagels). The bite was light and balanced, not to mention pretty. We went back for more of that one, too.

Madelyn B Bucher

The pink oyster and mushroom salad was the last dish we found. The spoonful was a little spicy but very refreshing.

Fun fact: I had never had oysters before this salad. I don't know if I'm ready to get shucking, but I definitely went back for more salad.

Madelyn B Bucher

Basically, we ate a lot. And took a lot of pictures (for the #insta, you know?). Everything we got to try was delicious, even in small bites. So delicious in fact, that we went back to The Bird for brunch the following weekend.

The limited time Bird & Blossom menu is available through April 15th by reservation only. The 5-course menu costs $50, with the option of adding the drink pairings for an additional $20. Call and make your reservation today because trust me, you really don't want to miss this one.