Whether it’s a simple PB&J on white bread or a ciabatta panino stuffed with prosciutto, sun dried tomatoes and truffle oil, I know you have that one sandwich. The sandwich that feels like home. The sandwich that can cure your worst hangover. The sandwich that makes you sit back in your chair and go “ahhhh.”

Of course, I would never ask you to replace this sandwich; after all, a sandwich like that is irreplaceable. But in Los Angeles, where there’s a whole world of sandwiches you’ve probably never heard of or knew existed, you might want to consider exploring your options for a second runner up. To help you get started, here’s a list of my five favorite exotic sandwiches in LA. 

1. Turkey Melt on Pretzel Bread from Greenleaf

egg, bacon, cheese, cheddar, fried egg
Giselle Abcarian

The gooey aged cheddar mixed with sautéed spinach and sweet caramelized onions already makes for a delicious combo. But with the addition of truffle oil and Greenleaf's award-winning pretzel bun, don't be surprising if your tastebuds need a few days to recover.

2. Beef Tongue Sandwich from Attari Sandwich Shop

onion, beef, sandwich
Giselle Abcarian

Sandwiched between a crunchy french baguette lies some of the most tender, delicate meat I've ever had. It's hard to remember that you're even eating tongue. It bursts with flavor on its own but the mustard, mayo, shredded lettuce, tomato, parsley, and pickles complement the meat and add contrasting texture. This is a must-try sandwich if you live in Westwood. 

cheese, sandwich, lettuce, tomato, meat, bread, vegetable
Giselle Abcarian

But this beef tongue schnitzel sandwich from Baco Mercat is a close runner up. The tongue is battered, fried and a bit more chewy than the tongue in the sandwich at Attari but the harissa and smoked aioli take it up a notch on the taste-o-meter.  

3. The Off-Menu Scotch Egg "Burger" from Ledlow 

bacon, egg, chicken
Giselle Abcarian

A soft-boiled egg, wrapped in sausage meat, covered and fried with panko bread crumbs and topped with cheddar cheese, lettuce, pickles, onions, mayonnaise and mustard. Don't forget the freshly baked brioche bun. It's the ultimate breakfast sandwich but it's not always listed on the menu, so remember to ask your server about it. They tend to run out quickly.

4. Southern Fry Sandwich from Plan Check

onion, avocado, cheese
Giselle Abcarian

Smokey fried jidori chicken, spicy green pimento cheese, duck breast ham, and pickles. I love the standard PCB burger from Plan Check but the jidori chicken was so juicy that I barely missed the ground beef. 

5. Brioche Ice Cream Sandwich Sliders from POT

ice, ice cream, bacon, cream
Giselle Abcarian

There's nothing simple about these mini ice cream sandwiches. It's vanilla ice cream and Kochujang caramel on a ginger honey toasted brioche bun. The caramel is spicy yet sweet, the brioche bun fluffy yet crisp and the ice cream plain yet incredibly rich. It's out there, a bit confusing, and totally addicting. Tears of joy were shed after consuming this dessert. 

Nothing beats the comfort of a homemade grilled cheese or PB&J, but sometimes, you have to step out of your comfort zone and see what else is out there. The world of funky sandwiches awaits you.